Download a large number of caches into GPS

artys-

Dear fellow cachers,

I am often traveling without being able to plan my exact itinerary in advance and without regular access to a computer. So often I don't know where I will end up caching and I have used the iPhone app for this in the past - which works great. However, because I was running into battery and reception issues, I now would like to use a real GPS unit, but I am completely new to the way that works. I was surprised to see that there is no option to download a really large number of caches into it, like for example "all caches in Switzerland" or all caches in 400km radius (much more than 1000). Would I really have to prepare dozens of pocket queries to achieve that? In addition it seems I cannot create more than 5 pocket queries a day, right? That would mean that it would really take a lot of effort to get all caches in Switzerland uploaded to my GPS - that seems quite cumbersome to me.

Maybe I'm missing something? Please if you have an advise on how to smartly do this, if there is a tool or anything, any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

artys-

For your reference: I'm normally working on Mac (but can get to a PC if more practical), and will use a Garmin Oregon 650t GPS.

Edited by artys-

Pocket queries are the main option. One way to get thousands of listings using PQs without overlap between PQs is to specify various date ranges for the PQs. For more info, see the PQ FAQ here: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Another option is to use an API-based application like GSAK to retrieve cache data. Depending on how many listings you want, you may still need to spread the requests over several days.

Another option is to be more selective in your PQs. That is, if you limit your PQ based on the difficulty ratings, terrain ratings, size, attributes, etc., then you may eliminate a lot of the caches in the area that you wouldn't really be interested in finding.

And another option for those who use smartphones is to download live data on the fly using one of the API-based smartphone applications.

Edit to add: Also keep in mind that you'll need to keep updating the information that you load onto your device, to avoid searching for caches that have been archived, or moved, or disabled, etc.

Edited by niraD

I use the Garmin 62S and Oregon 450. While they hold 5000 caches they may become unreliable as you approach the max. so I keep it under 3000.

On long trips I create up to 40 PQ's .....I then use GSAK on a netbook to organize these into databases which I can load to the GPS units at any time in the field, no internet needed.

The new Oregon 600 series reportedly holds many thousands of caches....you would still need to create the PQ's ( biggest is 1000 ) but you wouldn't need a netbook or computer as the Oregon would hold them all.