Rule for hiding a geocache

denise143

I was planning to hide a geocache and was wondering if the place I plan to hide it has to be free entry. Can I hide a geocache in a park that requires and entry fee to the park

thanks Denise

Yes....I've found many. Be sure to state in your description that a fee is required and post the fee amount.

This would also sound like the type of venue where you would need permission from a park employee to hide a cache there.

An entrance fee or parking fee or toll isn't a problem by itself. But what kind of park is charging the entrance fee?

What the guidelines prohibit are commercial caches. Paying admission to a for-profit club or business or park would be prohibited, because that requires seekers to "go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service." But that doesn't apply to government and other not-for-profit parks and open spaces.

An entrance fee or parking fee or toll isn't a problem by itself. But what kind of park is charging the entrance fee?

What the guidelines prohibit are commercial caches. Paying admission to a for-profit club or business or park would be prohibited, because that requires seekers to "go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service." But that doesn't apply to government and other not-for-profit parks and open spaces.

Which organisation/park is it? National Trust properties are allowed and so is a charge for access to their parks and gardens as long as it is a reasonable charge. Other organisations may not be allowed if they have charitable status or are commercial. Local authorities are usually OK.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I think that may be a no as it is a commercially run private enterprise - they do weddings etc. However I shall ask my colleagues for their opinions and get back to you.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki

You'll find a huge amount of information about landowners, permission and more in the UK Geocaching Wiki. There are also links to various places to get help and guidance including many Facebook groups.

Chris

Graculus

UK Geocaching Wiki