Cache Series in re: Book Series

BigOpe

I have only a dozen owned caches in two states, reflecting my "Snowbird" lifestyle. Don't have the endurance to maintain dozens or hundreds of caches, as some do. Notwithstanding, I'm an avid reader of "series books" like Game of Thrones, the Emberverse series, the Safehold series, etc. Have been thinking about initiating a cache series that in some way connects to one of those, and maybe has a little bit of a "puzzle cache" spin to it that would encourage people to read the books as well as pursue our favorite hobby. Something like "If you find this cache AND correctly answer the question you find there about the book series, you may log a find." Could do it entirely within my own life sphere, that being Tucson, AZ and Ruidoso, NM, but there might be the potential for something more nationwide. Anybody want to collaborate?

Edited by BigOpe

I have only a dozen owned caches in two states, reflecting my "Snowbird" lifestyle. Don't have the endurance to maintain dozens or hundreds of caches, as some do. Notwithstanding, I'm an avid reader of "series books" like Game of Thrones, the Emberverse series, the Safehold series, etc. Have been thinking about initiating a cache series that in some way connects to one of those, and maybe has a little bit of a "puzzle cache" spin to it that would encourage people to read the books as well as pursue our favorite hobby. Something like "If you find this cache AND correctly answer the question you find there about the book series, you may log a find." Could do it entirely within my own life sphere, that being Tucson, AZ and Ruidoso, NM, but there might be the potential for something more nationwide. Anybody want to collaborate?

the bolded is considered an "Alternate Logging Requirement", or "ALR", and is not allowed according to the guidelines.

Work with your Reviewer to see if the idea you have is workable. However, keywords, passcodes, and the like are not allowed under the guidelines for the logging of a geocache at Geocaching.com.

Edited by NeverSummer
Something like "If you find this cache AND correctly answer the question you find there about the book series, you may log a find."
The way you formulated that, it looks like an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR), which is no longer allowed by the guidelines.

But with that said, I've seen a number of mystery/puzzle caches based on books and book series, including The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Princess Bride, various books of the Bible, the Harry Potter series, and Alice in Wonderland. The key is to use the information from the book(s) as part of the puzzle, as part of finding the cache.

Edited by niraD

You could probably make some form of mystery/puzzle cache where the finder needs info from the books to solve. Or you could just base some caches off the books. I've done that- 4 caches based off Blackhawk Down- with a couple field puzzles. Or I'm working on a Harry Potter series, once cache for each book. for example for chamber of you would have to make your way to the chamber, using lumos to follow the magical trail. And it starts, where else? A bathroom.

I'd think something like that would appeal to more people then one where you need to read the book to answer questions. But it's up to you, not all caches are meant to be found every day.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Not that long ago, I did a mystery cache where to solve the coords, I had to go into the library to answer specific questions about books and locations within that library. I am not normally one to read or go to a library, but never the less, I did enjoy the cache and solving the puzzle.

The way you have the idea worded puts it into the Additional Logging Requirement category which is no longer allowed as per TPTB. Some very good alternative ideas have been given to help achieve the cache you would like to place. Good luck and I hope you find a solution that works for you and the area you plan to hide the cache.