Undeleting SD Card

jhuoni

I know I'm not the first and will probably not be the last...

I manged to corrupt 250 files on my hard drive and I deleted the files on the SD card when I uploaded them to the hard drive.

Any suggestions on how to restore the SD Card? I've tried all the "free" software - which only restores 5 files or is only FREE to download.

In a DOS world this would be and easy fix. Undelete *.* Windows, I don't know.

Success will depend on if you have written any new photos to the SD card. If you have taken new photos then it will make recovery less likely. I have only done it once and I used a freeware program. Do a search on "file recovery sd card freeware" you will get several options (look at ZAR as it is free for this use). Save the recovered photos to computer and not to card.

Edited by BruceS

Success will depend on if you have written any new photos to the SD card. If you have taken new photos then it will make recovery less likely. I have only done it once and I used a freeware program. Do a search on "file recovery sd card freeware" you will get several options (look at ZAR as it is free for this use). Save the recovered photos to computer and not to card.

Wow! One answer the job is complete!

ZAR worked like a charm. I managed to recover almost 1300 .jpg's - Most of which are all ready safely stored on another drive, but I did get the bunch that I lost as well. MS Office Photo Manager decided to try to ruin my day by renaming all of my files with the SAME NAME. Pauli Exclusion Principle - No two objects can occupy the same space at the same time - or on a hard drive - No two files (or 233 files) can have the same name at the same time.

Once again BruceS - you have gotten my rump out of a jam!

Thanks!

Although this is solved I'll add to it. When you save pictures, you are also saving the info on where to picture is located on the SD card, or HDD, or whatever you have. This is true for programs, documents and all that fun stuff. When you delete it, you are just deleting the info on where it is located, so if you have a program that knows how to find it you can recover it. Think of it like archiving a geocache. The archived cache is not visible in searches. But if you have the GC code, you can still find it. Unlike the geocache which won't go away, a picture can. This will usually only happen if you use so much memory that it records over the original image. Even then it is sometimes possible to recover it. The more you have, the more you have to dig through, and the harder it is to find.

Of course if the file is changed-or corrupted, then it may be gone forever.

I know I'm not the first and will probably not be the last...

I manged to corrupt 250 files on my hard drive and I deleted the files on the SD card when I uploaded them to the hard drive.

Any suggestions on how to restore the SD Card? I've tried all the "free" software - which only restores 5 files or is only FREE to download.

In a DOS world this would be and easy fix. Undelete *.* Windows, I don't know.

For future reference. In the case of recovering files from your SD card you are O.K. running the recovery software on your computer. But if you would be trying to recover deleted files on your computer running recovery software on your computer would put you in danger of overwriting the files you are trying to recover. I have a memory stick set up with about 20 different portable software programs that can be ran on any computer, one of them being recovery software called recuva. It can be ran without any danger of overwriting anything. Just a heads up.