Contacting fellow Geocachers

AlphaPapa1

Hi.

I'm new to geocaching.

Is it possible to contact fellow geocachers via this forum?

Also,how do I log found caches retrospectively?

Lastly,I don't seem to be able to look up caches in different areas apart from close to my location.I travel abroad a lot and would like to plan ahead.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi AlphaPapa1 welcome to the game.

1. It is better to go through the cachers Profile to contact them.

3. After you have logged in click you bick on the top right of the start page. Then by "search options" select the little grey map on the right. you should get Google maps where you can enter the Name of the town you wish to visit.

Hope this helps you.

Hi.

I'm new to geocaching.

Is it possible to contact fellow geocachers via this forum?

Also,how do I log found caches retrospectively?

Lastly,I don't seem to be able to look up caches in different areas apart from close to my location.I travel abroad a lot and would like to plan ahead.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, welcome...

There is a Groundspeak UK & Ireland forum but it's no longer used much. Most UK geocachers use various facebook forums for geocaching info and chat. e.g. Geocaching UK

You'll also get to know your local cachers if you go to some geocaching events. If you wish to contact a specific geocacher you can email them through the link on their profile page.

Yes, you can log caches retrospectively if you've found them and signed the log. Just go to the cache page and log in the usual way, but change the date to when you found it.

To find caches in different areas, or near specific towns/cities you can use the Search page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

Hope that helps a bit. :)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

What I do, when I want to check out caches in another town, is don't go to "Hide And Seek A Cache".....under the "Play" tab just select "View Geocache Map" Now you can zoom out and scroll around the map, zoom in on the areas that interest you.

I've never liked using the regular "Hide And Seek A Cache" page (unless I'm submitting a hide, of course). I don't like having to figure out the postal code of the area I'm interested in, or what nearby town will give me the results I want.....it's easier just to visualize it on the map. Then I run a Pocket Query from that map view.

If you want to try it that way, make sure you are logged in and have provided your home coordinates in your profile info, so the map will start out over your home location.....otherwise it will start you out in Seattle at Groundspeak headquarters.

What I do, when I want to check out caches in another town, is don't go to "Hide And Seek A Cache".....under the "Play" tab just select "View Geocache Map" Now you can zoom out and scroll around the map, zoom in on the areas that interest you.

I've never liked using the regular "Hide And Seek A Cache" page (unless I'm submitting a hide, of course). I don't like having to figure out the postal code of the area I'm interested in, or what nearby town will give me the results I want.....it's easier just to visualize it on the map. Then I run a Pocket Query from that map view.

If you want to try it that way, make sure you are logged in and have provided your home coordinates in your profile info, so the map will start out over your home location.....otherwise it will start you out in Seattle at Groundspeak headquarters.

I know that I am a week late on this, but when looking for caches in another area, I have always found it easier to bring up the map on my home coordinates, zoom out, scroll over to the area that I want and then zoom in. I can then pick a cache in the center of that area to bring up a list, or build a Pocket Query. This is especially true as lately, there have been a number of reports that certain post/zip codes and city names can not be found by the sites search engine.