Hiding caches for an event

SeeKGLobe

I have only been to one event before... I have a couple of questions...

I was wondering how many caches is the norm to have hidden?

How do you have the caches approved but not posted until after the event so that event attendees have a chance at a FTF?

Is it the norm to include other caches that are area hidden before or just new caches?

How do you have the caches approved but not posted until after the event so that event attendees have a chance at a FTF?

Place a cache like normal, but write a reviewer note, something like "Please hold this until 7PM on Feb 11 for the annual winter event."

It depends on how big the event is. Generally where I'm from we place caches for annual events, and sometimes events with people from out of town. If it's just for use locals, we don't worry about it. A small event one or two. For an event in February I'm placing(well hoping to) 4 caches over three days, but then again we have people traveling a couple hours each way. For our annual big summer event we place 80-100 new caches, for 6 events with a hundred or more attendees.

Is it the norm to include other caches that are area hidden before or just new caches?

Not quite sure what you mean. Do people find other caches as well as ones placed for the event? Yes. No. Depends on the person. If theres a cache in the area, why not? I'm already caching. Some people come from out of town so they may get as many caches as they can, doesn't matter when they have been placed.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Events are not meant to be held for the purpose of getting a group together to go caching. They're really supposed to be just a meet & greet sort of thing. In fact, this is spelled out in the guidelines.

Now, having said that, it's not unusual to have a cache, or a few, published in conjunction with the event, just to give the event attendees a few new caches to find while they're in the area. But the caches aren't the purpose of the event. You don't have to place any new caches to hold an event.

If you want to do so, get with your reviewer early in the planning process. Most reviewers will do their best to make the publication coincide with your event.

This isn't going to happen. Once the cache is published it's fair game....the event attendees don't get the opportunity to find the cache before it's published. Unless you want to provide them the coordinates prior to publication. But can you really call that an FTF?

Edited by Chief301

I have only been to one event before... I have a couple of questions...

None

Talk to your reviewer

No. More than likely most in the area have been found by many of the attendees.

Around here, I'd have to say that the norm is to have hidden no caches for the event. Most of the events I've attended haven't had any caches hidden.

One exception was an event where attendees had the opportunity to beta-test a letterbox hybrid cache that had not yet been published. Some attendees joined the beta-test groups. Others, like me, stayed put and continued socializing. (I found the letterbox hybrid cache later, when I was back in the park with a different group of people, not at an event.)

The other exception was for a date-themed event, where a similarly date-themed cache was published near the event location, earlier the same day. But that wasn't hidden by the event organizer, and the FTF was several hours before the event. I found it after the event, before heading home.

I've been to a few events where the CO has asked the reviewer to publish some caches as the event is taking place (the reviewer can try to make this happen but apparently the timing on the server isn't always reliable). Anyway, you're at the event having a pleasant time chatting about caches or whatever else you want and people start to get alerts on their phones telling them about new caches. Half the event then disappears eager to get ftfs. Newcomers arrive at the event feeling left out and disappointed at the low turnout.

I've been to others where the event CO has provided a list of caches that will be published and maps and has even brought along a laptop for people to download the gpx file to their gps. At one event the reviewer was there and and I was half way round one of the 2 circuits with him when his notifications emails arrived.

Edited by duncanhoyle

I would say depends on the event. If it is a simple, monthly Meet and Greet at a local coffee shop for an hour, then no caches.

If it is once a year annual picnic, or big Geocaching anniversary (like the 10 Years of Geocaching events), then in my area several people will get together and place some new caches for attendees to find after the event. If it is something like a weekend camping trip, where most of the attendees don't live in the area, then no caches are placed since there is a high likelihood that the attendees haven't already cleared out the caches in the area!

That said, this is just my experience. Like others said, no caches have to be placed.