Finding own caches

the Seagnoid

It used to be policy that you could not claim a find on your own caches. And when you attempted to, you got a warning from the website and it prevented you from continuing. This was because geocaching is about the challenge of the hunt - no challenge if you know where you put your cache!

It is still policy but now the the website allows the finding of your own caches. Or is this a bug? I have noticed some geocachers logging finds on their own caches, probably some sad belief that geocaching is not about the adventure but just about the numbers.

Tom

There has never been any system in place to prevent a person from logging their own caches.

Other than basic common sense.

I don't know. Sometimes when performing maintenance I have to search high and low in an ever increasing search circle to find my cache. Isn't that a legitimate find?

I don't know. Sometimes when performing maintenance I have to search high and low in an ever increasing search circle to find my cache. Isn't that a legitimate find?
Yeah, I've had multiple owners DNF their caches on maintenance runs, and then ask me where I had found their caches. The caches had migrated enough that the owners could not find them, and where I found them wasn't where the owners had originally hidden them. If an owner can DNF his/her own cache, then the "you can't find something when you know where it is" argument breaks down.
Sometimes when performing maintenance I have to search high and low in an ever increasing search circle to find my cache. Isn't that a legitimate find?

What's worse is when you have your friends with you, and they haven't found it so you're letting them hunt, and when asked for hints you can't give any. :lol:

Talk about egg on your face. :lol: