Garmin communicator plugin for Windows 7

crazy5557

My wife's PC just quit, and I have another wit Windows 7. Hers was XP, I believe. Either way, I can't get the Garmin communicator plug in to download to my Windows 7. I've tried everything changing compatibility modes.

Has anyone experienced this, and how are you getting around it?

Is Garmin fixing the problem, as I've been unable to contact them?

I would hate to think I have to change GPS devices to allow me to download caches.

Thanks for any help.

Hmmmm.... I don't believe that you need any Garmin program whatsoever.

Run Pocket Query, download the GPX file(s), plug unit to computer, drag 'n drop GPX file(s) to unit, unplug unit, go geocaching.

I believe that Garmin Communicator is necessary only to use the "Send to GPS" feature -- a rather bulky method of loading geocaches. Being a PM, you really ought to use Pocket Queries -- after all, you are paying for that benefit. The transfer of those GPX files to the unit is easy, with no "go between" programs needed.

That said, if you wish, switch to Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as your browser... they don't normally suffer from the same afflictions as does Internet Explorer.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hmmmm.... I don't believe that you need any Garmin program whatsoever.

Run Pocket Query, download the GPX file(s), plug unit to computer, drag 'n drop GPX file(s) to unit, unplug unit, go geocaching.

I believe that Garmin Communicator is necessary only to use the "Send to GPS" feature -- a rather bulky method of loading geocaches. Being a PM, you really ought to use Pocket Queries -- after all, you are paying for that benefit. The transfer of those GPX files to the unit is easy, with no "go between" programs needed.

I fully agree with GG on this. Sometimes I want to grab a single cache, perhaps a brand new one, and the above method works if one uses the GPX file button instead of the Send to GPS button. It can be done in a single step if you tell Windows to save it to the ?:\Garmin\GPX folder instead of the usual C:\documents\download folder.