Newer Nuvi to navigate to cache site?

Its time to replace our current Nuvi 1450t. Currently we use to navigate to general cache area and then utilize our 60CSx and Oregon 450t once we arrive. Would like to have something that we can still download waypoints using GSAK. Looking for suggestions as well as pros and cons of the newer Nuvi units available.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I just bought a 2597 and so far I like it real well, it has lifetime map and traffic updates and does voice commands which was two of the things I wanted in a new one. I spoke to one of Garmin's tech support people and she mentioned it was the model she has and that she thought it had the most bang for your buck of any of their models. $199.00 from Best Buy and the same from Amazon.

We have a Nuvi 2450LM that we use - and we also use GSAK to put caches on them.

You're already familiar with the Garmin units & the usage of GSAK to put geocaches on them. I've had only a couple different Nuvi models and I'm pretty certain....they're all still the same in how they are setup/programmed to accept geocaches into them. There are a gazillion different ways to upload geocaches into them and they all act differently depending on how you upload them. So - the 'method' for doing it stays the same (more or less).

My 2450 will show the caches on the map depending on the ZOOM level. And again...depending on how you upload them into the unit plays a big part in the results you get on the screen.

As for the units themselves...... You don't need all the bells & whistles (music, photos, fm transmitter, bluetooth, etc). A larger screen for sure - but not too large that you can't mount it in your vehicle. The Lifetime Maps are always nice too (but will jack up the price of the unit).

Shop around....I did a very quick google search and found a 2450LM for $100 free shipping.

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/24539-53314/Garmin-Nuvi-2400-Series.html?cid=82942&chid=4272&gclid=CKPY_uvIirwCFQPNOgodSlMAyg

There are other models that are even cheaper. Go to Garmin's website, read the full descriptions, do a little research....and shop around.

Edited by Lieblweb

There's another option for navigating to caches... and that is to use your Oregon 450t.

If you need a new Nuvi, get a new Nuvi, but don't let ease of geocaching be your main criteria for selecting a model, though it seems that all of them will accept geocaches as waypoints even if they're not actively displayed on the map.

I find it easier to use one device and have stopped using my Nuvi for geocache navigation. Instead, I've put OpenStreet Maps on my Oregon 450t and created a custom profile for vehicular navigation while geocaching. It routes along roads just like the Nuvi, but when I get to the parking area, I simply swap the routing to "direct" and finish by foot. You can get a USB power port that goes in the cigarette lighter port in your car and use a standard USB cable to power the GPS while you're driving so you're not running down batteries. It's been a nice alternative to loading caches onto two units.