Pocket Query Route Accuracy

Fredsjunk

How do I go about getting an ACCURATE route pocket query?

for example when planning to drive a long toll road, I would like to know of the caches accessible from that road and dont really care about the others close by. I create a PQ and give up to .2 distance ( which should include rest stops) and when the query runs it can be WAY off depending on the curves of the road. it seems the query doesn't really follow the exact road just point to point LARGE distances apart on the road so unless the road is straight alot is lost.

I'll a link to a couple screen shots of a random spot along the NY State thruway. I looked at the same spot on the normal map and a couple caches should show within the .25 that I used for this query, but due to the "blue line" not following the actual road, they do not.

Am I missing a setting or how can I fix this?

Thanks

CLICK HERE for a couple sample route PQ not following road - then click that picture for a larger picture

How do I go about getting an ACCURATE route pocket query?

for example when planning to drive a long toll road, I would like to know of the caches accessible from that road and dont really care about the others close by. I create a PQ and give up to .2 distance ( which should include rest stops) and when the query runs it can be WAY off depending on the curves of the road. it seems the query doesn't really follow the exact road just point to point LARGE distances apart on the road so unless the road is straight alot is lost.

I'll a link to a couple screen shots of a random spot along the NY State thruway. I looked at the same spot on the normal map and a couple caches should show within the .25 that I used for this query, but due to the "blue line" not following the actual road, they do not.

Am I missing a setting or how can I fix this?

Thanks

CLICK HERE for a couple sample route PQ not following road - then click that picture for a larger picture

Every route is really composed of a series of straight line segments. There is a maximum number of segments in a CAR PQ, so the longer the route, the longer each segment will be. To accurately follow the road you will need to make the PQ short enough so the segments more closely match the road. You'll have to do this by experimenting but even then you may miss a cache or two.

Are you really allowed to stop anywhere you want along the toll road? I'm not familiar with the NY laws. If not, you might be better served to just create PQs centered on the rest stops.

Thanks for your reply.

you cant stop just "anywhere", but there are misc unofficial Pulloffs - 2 I am aware of that have caches. as far as making PQ's centered on reststops, then I would need to know where they all were in advance for each route I take through many states and many roads. Too much work for that. I was hoping a routable PQ was just that, but I guess not :( . Any idea how many segments are allowed or suggested max mileage to keep the segments on the road? the route I used in my example was only 250 miles and that was really bad, I cant see making a new routable PQ for each 20-30 miles, again. too much work.

Im starting to think gsak might be the best solution.

Thanks for your reply.

you cant stop just "anywhere", but there are misc unofficial Pulloffs - 2 I am aware of that have caches. as far as making PQ's centered on reststops, then I would need to know where they all were in advance for each route I take through many states and many roads. Too much work for that. I was hoping a routable PQ was just that, but I guess not :( . Any idea how many segments are allowed or suggested max mileage to keep the segments on the road? the route I used in my example was only 250 miles and that was really bad, I cant see making a new routable PQ for each 20-30 miles, again. too much work.

Im starting to think gsak might be the best solution.

You can create a route in Google Earth using the "Ruler" -> "Path" tool. This can be as simple or as detailed/complicated as you want - can even double back on itself if you want.

Save it before closing the ruler - it will show up in the LH navigation pane.

Right click on it here and choose "Save Place As...".

This will give you a .kmz file that you can use (Upload a Route) to create your PQ.

I have used this several times when the GC.com generated route didn't want to go where I wanted it to go.