Travel Bugs & Swag Questions

WoodGlue

I'm getting ready to start collecting stuff to put into my first geocache. I want a "knockout" collection of items.

What are some of the best items that you've ever seen in a geocache or what do you wish to find in a cache?

And how many travel bug dog tags should I include in my first cache?

Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions and ideas!

WoodGlue

You don't have to include any travel bugs in your new cache, but cachers always enjoy finding them. It rather depends on how big the container is.

But you ask, "how many travel bug dog tags should I include in my first cache?"... Do you mean that you were thinking of leaving a set of new unactivated TB tags as swag in the new cache?

MrsB

You don't have to include any travel bugs in your new cache, but cachers always enjoy finding them. It rather depends on how big the container is.

But you ask, "how many travel bug dog tags should I include in my first cache?"... Do you mean that you were thinking of leaving a set of new unactivated TB tags as swag in the new cache?

MrsB

Yes, unactivated swag "bugs" LOL I thought maybe I should leave 2 to start with.

Of course, I'll also include several "activated" dog tags in hopes that they make it to the UK or some far flung place someday!

The container that I'll most likely be using is this one:

http://shop.geocachi...-w-logbook.html

I'm anxious to find out what kinds of goodies that people treasure and like, etc.

Thanks,

WoodGlue

Edited by WoodGlue

@ WoodGlue:

Your idea of leaving sealed TB tags is noble... but, don't go overboard with it. Leaving a set here and there would be good. Multiple sets dropped into a single cache... I'm not so sure about.

The reason I say this is that geocachers are by-and-large, a friendly and giving lot, but you will find that the "Trade Even or Trade Up" concept in geocaching is... well, let's just say... lost. Not many are going to trade up to your $5.95 (USD) SWAG. Yes, they should... but most will not. I think that you are going to find that quite a few simply "take".

I know, it does seem like a negative view on the situation, but if you really believe otherwise, you may soon be living out of a cardboard box and getting your meals at a charity soap kitchen.

After a while, you will notice that many cachers do not trade SWAG at all. I dare say, it is primarily because this Trade Up, Trade Even concept seems to have been lost. Now, it doesn't stop them from geocaching, they just forget about trading SWAG.

We, as well as many others, still carry copious amounts of SWAG to place into caches. We rarely trade at all, we simply add to a cache that is lacking SWAG -- and there are LOTS of those, even though they originally weren't placed empty, they do end up that way.

Just so you realize, there are two worlds of geocaching, utopian geocaching and reality geocaching.

The true "treasure" in geocaching is the hunt and/or the find.

Reality check.....

Not many are going to trade up to your $5.95 (USD) SWAG.

I plan on doing the same thing... they will be free to take one, hopefully they just take one that is. If I get robbed I'll just blame it on the Jawas or the Tusken Raiders and buy some more for the can.

Woodglue.... My thoughts are based on quality, not quantity. I plan on getting raided, both the contents and the can. If the thieves only allow me to keep and maintain only one great cache... that's the way its gonna be I guess.

Edited by The Peterson Finders

I'm getting ready to start collecting stuff to put into my first geocache. I want a "knockout" collection of items.

What are some of the best items that you've ever seen in a geocache or what do you wish to find in a cache?

And how many travel bug dog tags should I include in my first cache?

Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions and ideas!

WoodGlue

Even tho all this is 100% untested by me so far.... Here's my thoughts, and my motivation. Pick the theme of your cache to be something that you really like, mine is gonna be Star Wars based because I like it and so does my daughter. We enjoy buying and looking for the figures in the toy department, so buying it as SWAG / Hitchhikers for TB is FUN for us. Planning, making stencils, stickers, and painting the cans is something that we also enjoy doing together, so even when I get ripped off, it will be enjoyable to make a few more backup cans.... because its fun and we enjoy doing it. Heck, the new cans might be way more awesome then the first batch we made.

Two is one, one is none. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Like I said we are going to have back up cans in stand by mode at the house, as well as a handful of TB Tags and Star Wars figures. That way it's NOT a choir to head out the door and take care of business.

.... maybe I'm just nutz! :blink: LOL

Edited by The Peterson Finders

Garmin cHirp

I bought the Garmin cHirp to program and put in there. Any feelings on this? Is the Garmin cHirp frowned upon because it's a way to send out clues to another Garmin user, thus maybe speeding up the finding of the cache?

I'm not too concerned that anyone won't be willing to trade up to a $5.95 item. It is just a cool game after all and it is the thrill of the hunt that really matters the most when all is said and done.

I may only ever have 1 cache, but it will be a fun and a nice cache.with any luck. I was thinking about a theme too, but have kinda decided against it because I want to have an array of goodies (from a paracord bracelet to a pack of sealed Topps Baseball cards, etc)

I may do a Disneyland cache, eventually because those planted seem so popular and look like they're fun to do.

Thanks you guys. I do appreciate the feedback and tips and things to consider.

WoodGlue

Garmin cHirp

I bought the Garmin cHirp to program and put in there. Any feelings on this? Is the Garmin cHirp frowned upon because it's a way to send out clues to another Garmin user, thus maybe speeding up the finding of the cache?

I'm not too concerned that anyone won't be willing to trade up to a $5.95 item. It is just a cool game after all and it is the thrill of the hunt that really matters the most when all is said and done.

I may only ever have 1 cache, but it will be a fun and a nice cache.with any luck. I was thinking about a theme too, but have kinda decided against it because I want to have an array of goodies (from a paracord bracelet to a pack of sealed Topps Baseball cards, etc)

I may do a Disneyland cache, eventually because those planted seem so popular and look like they're fun to do.

Thanks you guys. I do appreciate the feedback and tips and things to consider.

WoodGlue

I have not yet used a chirp, nor have I found a cache that uses the feature, but my GPS is capable of doing so. From what I understand, the CHIRP unit should not be placed within the cache, but near it, so that it is not confused for swag itself.

Your username seems to indicate to me someone with an interest in the handicraft hobbies. I imagine you could make some killer home-made swag, but that's only conjecture.