Cache links in forums

J Grouchy

I notice people in here tend to post GC numbers only without actually posting a link (which is very annoying to me since it involves cutting and pasting...but it ain't only about me).

I'd like to see this particular forum engine or software or whatever you call it automatically create a link from posted GC numbers...OR...at the very least have a BBCode tag (maybe [GC] or [cache]?) which would create a clickable link from a GC number.

I don't know why you go to all that trouble. Double click and it will be selected. Right click and click search the web. It will be the first item. Click and go. No cut, no paste, just a little mouse work.

Ok, that's great. Makes life much easier. Wish I knew this a long time ago...:laughing:

Groundspeak uses a third-party supplier for the forum software and we do not have the ability to make these sorts of changes.

Would have the ability to request the company with the software to make that change. Surprised it isn't an existing feature as it is with the two other forums I'm a member of.

Groundspeak uses a third-party supplier for the forum software and we do not have the ability to make these sorts of changes.

Are you sure?

Invision has a custom BBCode plugin:

http://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/advanced-and-developers/api-methods/custom-bbcode-plugins-r47

Not only that, but they have been available on the posting form for years... look at the blue/white circle (HELP) with the ? on the top bar of the form on the right... whole list of useable BBCodes.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Not only that, but they have been available on the posting form for years... look at the blue/white circle (HELP) with the ? on the top bar of the form on the right... whole list of useable BBCodes.

The GC Code tag has been around for a while, but I tweaked it to work with coord.info. I added the Geocache tag yesterday.

The GC Code tag has been around for a while, but I tweaked it to work with coord.info. I added the Geocache tag yesterday.

I'm definitely impressed. (As a programmer, I love it when I find a quick way to do something so cool.) Would I be correct to guess that this will work with anything coord.info handles, such as TB codes?

This would be a great feature to have in cache logs, too. Or is it already there?

Would I be correct to guess that this will work with anything coord.info handles, such as TB codes?

This would be a great feature to have in cache logs, too. Or is it already there?

Yes, anything that works with coord.info will now work with those tags (before tweaking, it was limited only to geocaches).

This functionality does not work on cache logs. Implementing such a thing would take coding changes to interpret those tags and convert them to the proper HTML.

Thanks for the tweaking, and the new tag... I was just pointing out the list of tags existence to FL and others.

Doug 7rxc

You get a gold star today for that one.... B)