Etrex 10

m4yb

Everytime I load up new caches on my Etrex 10, I delete the previously loaded caches. Did this today, then I get the message as I try to send the second cache: "There is not enough free disk space on /Volumes/GARMIN/Garmin/gpx/ . Please free up some space and try again"

As well as this, I often get "Memory Low" messages when out in the field. I typically only load up about 10 caches at a time, and delete them by plugging in to laptop and accessing it this way.

I am a bit of a noob and worried I might delete necessary exe files! Is there somewhere else where I can delete stuff?

Everytime I load up new caches on my Etrex 10, I delete the previously loaded caches. Did this today, then I get the message as I try to send the second cache: "There is not enough free disk space on /Volumes/GARMIN/Garmin/gpx/ . Please free up some space and try again"

As well as this, I often get "Memory Low" messages when out in the field. I typically only load up about 10 caches at a time, and delete them by plugging in to laptop and accessing it this way.

I am a bit of a noob and worried I might delete necessary exe files! Is there somewhere else where I can delete stuff?

It sounds like you are using a Mac. If so, when you delete an item, it is not deleted but only moved to a folder called trash where it will stay until you empty the trash. It is only when you empty the trash that you free up all the space. Give it a try.

Thanks GeoTrekker26! You mean the trash on my mac, RHS of task bar? Did that! I also reset the settings on the Garmin, was out with only 5 caches loaded and still got the Low Memory popup ....

ETA: Got it! Plugged in Garmin, THEN clicked trash icon, got a huge list of caches to empty! Nowhere on the online manual had it mentioned it, so hope my experience is useful to others!

Edited by m4yb

Actually, in some configurations Windows WILL put a recycle bin folder on an external volume, and you can run into the exact same issue if you don't empty it once in a while. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-recycle-bin-settings#1TC=windows-7

It has also come up in these forums (more than once!) that an eTrex has run out of space because the WinSXS folder somehow got copied to it. I really don't know of it's possible for a misconfiguration of Windows to cause that, or just some user error. http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/24/the-winsxs-folder-explained/

Bottom line, relevant to this discussion: It's not just a Mac (or Windows) thing. Both operating systems keep some "hidden" items on external volumes. Users with an etrex 10 - a tiny storage volume, not removable - are more likely to run into problems than larger capacity models.

Edited by user13371

If only the Etrex 10 had come with let's say 128 mb of memory, it would be a much better unit. the cost of a 128mb flash drive would only have added pennies or maybe a dollar to the overall cost of the unit. I guess though if you sell a million units, those cost add up.

The Etrex 10 can support mapping by the way, but it's memory limitation makes only very small chunks of mapping available.