GPSMAP 62sc and linux

My new unit has arrived!

I have downloaded the Ibycus Topo 4.0 ISO file.

I am running SuSE, but also have access to Debian, Ubuntu, or Centos, or Virtualbox images.

I created a mount point

sudo mkdir /mnt/gpsmaps

I am then able to I mount the Ibycus ISO file via loopback device

sudo mount IbycusTopo4.0.iso -o loop /mnt/gpsmaps

When I plug in the gps, it opens using the default drivers and I can see the Ibycus files and the GPSMAP62sc in dolphin split windows

I then copied the Ibycus files (img,MDX, and TDB ) to the CustomMaps folder on the device.

When I disconnect the device I cannot see the custom maps.

I checked permissions and the seem to be the same as the birdseye that were preloaded.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to access the maps?

I think the problem is that he's got the maps in Windows installer form, but no Windows. He's trying to install the .img he sees in the root directory (that's what I gather from checking out my own copy), because the GPS expects an .img file.

Trouble is, that .img isn't the complete map set. If I had to guess, it's probably a low-resolution overview map for MapSource. There's a subdirectory containing nearly a thousand smaller .img files containing the actual map data.

It *may* be possible to simply dump the thousand .img files into the GPS. But I'm not familiar with that model, so my advice carries no warranty.

My new unit has arrived!

Congrats!

I then copied the Ibycus files (img,MDX, and TDB ) to the CustomMaps folder on the device.

When I disconnect the device I cannot see the custom maps.

You may have to combine your custom maps into one .img file, and then copy that to the GPSr. I recently did a lot of searching around the interwebs for a solution, and have posted a tutorial on my blog: Garmin GPSMap 62S under Ubuntu.

I use QLandkarte GT to merge all of my map files with my Pocket Queries, and then export those to the device using that process. It is important to select the TDR file first, and then the MDR. Regarding your file extensions (TDB and MDX), I'm uncertain if QLandkarte will recognize those, but it's worth a shot.

I think the GPSr expects one .img file as Viajero mentioned, so loading a bunch of different files onto it will not result in being able to view your custom map.