REI sale starts tomorrow

The Jester

While looking at my favorite toy store (REI) I see in the pre-slae flyer they'll have the Garmin 62s on sale for $199.99! Dang, I broke my 60CSx a month too early!!! I only saved $75, not $150.

Yeah I picked up at 62sc a couple months ago at the last sale. It was cheaper than the 62s at the time, but I don't think it was as low as $199... Argh..

These "fire sales" get me wondering if a new 64 is on the way soon... Maybe one that supports the GPZ files for nearly unlimited geocaches???

Maybe one that supports the GPZ files for nearly unlimited geocaches???

62s with POIs support nearly unlimited geocaches already.

What I want is a Garmin that doesn't constantly reboot.

I've had pretty good luck with two 60cxs and a 62sc, not many reboots at all. I do keep all 30k in WA state in both units as POIs, but it would be nice to be able to use the geocaching features for all 30k instead of just 2k...

Maybe one that supports the GPZ files for nearly unlimited geocaches???

62s with POIs support nearly unlimited geocaches already.

What I want is a Garmin that doesn't constantly reboot.

I've had pretty good luck with two 60cxs and a 62sc, not many reboots at all. I do keep all 30k in WA state in both units as POIs, but it would be nice to be able to use the geocaching features for all 30k instead of just 2k...

Which additional feature besides the "found" button are you talking about ?

Yes, my husband suprised me with one of these yesterday. Still pulling out all my hair trying to set it up. Frustrating...

My 60CSx has never, ever, ever rebooted on me. It's been a workhorse, that's for sure

This 62s...quite different from the 60

(Deleting repetitive phraseology)

Edited by JesandTodd

Darn!

How come my Topo Version does not reboot like everyone else? Hmmm... I wonder if I should take it back

Nope I'll just learn to live with it. :anibad: I guess not all GPSR units are Grumpy. Have you explained to your unit it could be replaced with a 60 series if doesn't get its act together?

OOPS... Better not do that, it might just reboot in front of you. HaHa, You just really need a sense of Humor when working with a Garmin.

Good luck..

Which additional feature besides the "found" button are you talking about ?

The "Found" and "Goto Next" (or whatever it's called) are really about it. While I haven't tested the 62 for character length, the 60 has a very limited amount of text you can add to the POIs, so dropping in full descriptions and logs was never available in a POI.

Being able to drag large GPX/GPZ files instead of converting to POI's would be nice.

The speed of a GPZ file would be great... Having all those POIs does slow the processor down a bit..

All that being said, It's not that big of a deal to me. I still use my iPhone/iTouch for all logging and cache details. If I don't have them with me, or it's a long hike and the battery won't make it, I just mark a new waypoint at the same spot as the cache and download them into GSAK to verify what I did find.

I process all my PQs through GSAK before loading as POIs to get the important information in there. One button launches a series of macros and 15 minutes later I have 4 states/provinces with 20 POI files and one huge GPX file each for the iPhone.

We still use both 60's and 62, so I probably won't change my POI process until the 60s die anyway.