Buying a Montana in U.S. for use in Oz?

david_adam

I am guessing a Garmin Montana 600 bought in the U.S. would work just fine in Australia (once I add appropriate maps). Is that correct?

If so, can you wise people suggest a good dealer in U.S. to buy it from? (We can only buy the Montana 650T in Oz.) Not looking for an absolute bargain price necessarily, but someone reputable who can ship it to Oz at a reasonable fee (e.g. something less than the $90 that Cabelas charge). I know U.S. shipping charges are a pretty exxy, but $90 seems a bit over the top to me.

thanks

David

It will work fine anywhere in the world, the global bit in GPSr confirms this :).

Whilst I can not help directly I would say that Garmin Australia may not provide a warranty repair if one is needed. Having to buy a new unit IF yours broke would far exceed the saving you are trying to make. A though to consider!

Contact Gpscity and ask them IF you need service will they provide it?

According to some Assies on this site the Garmin service in Australia is (was) below 0.

Answering your question, the gps will work all over the world and you could install the free Garmin program called

Basecamps and a free map like OpenStreetMap on your computer.

Doing so you get the 'feeling' how things are working. Checkout some YT video's.

Thanks, everyone, but Amazon won't ship a GPSr to Australia.

Amazon Amazon won't ship but some of their sub vendors will ship to NZ (and presumably Oz).

I purchased my eTrex Venture (through Amazon) from "JM Prime" in 2009. You may have to shop around to find a vendor that will ship out of the USA. (It looks like JM Prime won't ship outside of the US now).

Why do you want to buy from the States anyway (price?).

I've just tried Amazon UK for a 600 and they have let me proceed through checkout to a NZ address.

Price 290 quid versus $US 470.

Edited by Huntleigh