Random out-of-state park n' grab has surprise connection

dameetro

I thought I would share a fun caching story....

My wife and I were out doing some caching this weekend while camping out of state. I noticed a cache nearby that had several favorite points. When I got there, my GPS took me to an old Vietnam era helicopter at a VFW post. As soon as I got close, I knew I recognized the markings on the nose. I had recently scanned some old slides my dad had from his tour in the early days of Vietnam. This chopper was flown by someone in the very same unit.

While this wasn't the exact chopper my dad flew, it was very cool to see one like it and from his unit. This is just one of the many reasons that caching is awesome. You never know what you'll find next.

Here's the cache, in case you're interested in the Vietnam photos I scanned and posted with my log. GCK8CF - The Outlaw

Edited by dameetro

I thought I would share a fun caching story....

My wife and I were out doing some caching this weekend while camping out of state. I noticed a cache nearby that had several favorite points. When I got there, my GPS took me to an old Vietnam era helicopter at a VFW post. As soon as I got close, I knew I recognized the markings on the nose. I had recently scanned some old slides my dad had from his tour in the early days of Vietnam. This chopper was flown by someone in the very same unit.

While this wasn't the exact chopper my dad flew, it was very cool to see one like it and from his unit. This is just one of the many reasons that caching is awesome. You never know what you'll find next.

Here's the cache, in case you're interested in the Vietnam photos I scanned and posted with my log. GCK8CF - The Outlaw

Cool story and thank your dad for his service.

Neat story, thanks for sharing! Great pics.

My dad was a Bird Dog pilot in Vietnam. I love hearing his stories and looking at his pictures. We spent the weekend at a friends house, who has a ton of model aircraft. Dad was able to look around and find his plane among the hundreds of models.