Questions about the Garmin eTrex 20 GPS accuracy and track log

I just learned that the eTrex 20 have both GPS and GLONASS capabilities! Naturally this have gotten my attention. I intend to use the unit as a track logger for geotagging my photos.

1. Right now I'm using the Garmin 62s as my track logger. From experience, most of Garmin's recent handheld units have the same track logging capabilities. Would it be safe to assume that the settings available are the same or similar to the 62s?

2. In terms of accuracy, how accurate is the eTrex 20 when compared to the Garmin Fenix, Garmin 60CSx, Garmin 62s, and the Garmin GLO? A quick search seems to suggest that it's relatively accurate, but I'm looking for opinions from owners of this device.

3. Can owners of the eTrex 20 confirm whether the eTrex 20 is capable of recording coordinates at an interval of 1 second?

4. Can owners of the eTrex 20 confirm whether the eTrex 20 have the ability to set the recording method to "Auto" and recording interval to "Most Often"?

Thank you!

I have an Etrex H yellow one and an Etrex 20. Both are the same accuracy and seem to be rather similar in there trip log counts. Seems accurate!

Specs says that the record time is per second. I have mine set to every 10 seconds or 20 metres. Here are some screen captures my Etrex 20 settings of the options you asked...

35hl53d.jpg14wwvw0.jpg2vru15j.jpg2lmbhty.jpg

I have heard just too many horror stories from the Etrex 30 to warrant risking a purchase. I have the same features anyway because the money I saved on the Etrex 20 got me a very nice Suunto compass, solved! GPS altimeter fails in pressurised planes because you can't disable it. E-compass software bugs and constant need to recalibrate negates it for me as I have a Suunto hand compass that never fails.

Suunto Clipper L/B NH = $17.95 USD

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Compasses/Suunto-Clipper-LB-NH/?categoryId=5

dyoqch.jpg

:)

Edited by PigSti

I have an Etrex H yellow one and an Etrex 20. Both are the same accuracy and seem to be rather similar in there trip log counts. Seems accurate!

Specs says that the record time is per second. I have mine set to every 10 seconds or 20 metres. Here are some screen captures my Etrex 20 settings of the options you asked...

35hl53d.jpg14wwvw0.jpg2vru15j.jpg2lmbhty.jpg

I have heard just too many horror stories from the Etrex 30 to warrant risking a purchase. I have the same features anyway because the money I saved on the Etrex 20 got me a very nice Suunto compass, solved! GPS altimeter fails in pressurised planes because you can't disable it. E-compass software bugs and constant need to recalibrate negates it for me as I have a Suunto hand compass that never fails.

Suunto Clipper L/B NH = $17.95 USD

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Compasses/Suunto-Clipper-LB-NH/?categoryId=5

dyoqch.jpg

Thanks a lot for the response. How were you able to get those screen shots?

According to GPS Tracklog review: http://gpstracklog.com/2011/10/garmin-etrex-20-review.html#more-12856, the accuracy isn't all that good. Of course the review came out about 2 years ago. I wonder if subsequent firmware updates have improved the performance and accuracy of the eTrex 20?

According to GPS Tracklog review: http://gpstracklog.com/2011/10/garmin-etrex-20-review.html#more-12856, the accuracy isn't all that good. Of course the review came out about 2 years ago. I wonder if subsequent firmware updates have improved the performance and accuracy of the eTrex 20?

There were issues that prevented me from buying it years ago but the firmware has matured somewhat and now it's better than most. I bought it and while there are still niggles it's pretty good.

;)

GPS altimeter fails in pressurised planes because you can't disable it.

False, even if what should be done to do so is unnecessarily inobvious to the average user.

Setup -> Altimeter -> Barometer Mode: Fixed Elevation.

Reboot the device and you are done.

GPS altimeter fails in pressurised planes because you can't disable the barometric altimeter is what I should have said.

I know you can select to disable it but in some cases this does not always work messing up everything.

It happened to me and is why I finally chose the Etrex 20.

I intend to use the unit as a track logger for geotagging my photos.

You started a thread on a topic of great interest to me. I'm going to share my Oregon 450 examples to see how the 62s and eTrex 20/30 compare. I have a Nuvi which accepts GeoTagged photos, but it behaves totally different from the Oregon. See the attached Oregon screenshots:

GeoTag1.jpgGeoTag2.jpgGeoTag3.jpg

The first screenshot shows the map view with over a dozen geotagged photos. Touching any of the photo symbols, #2, shows the red pin and a image banner at the top. Touching that banner, brings up the associated image, #3. All-in-all a terrific solution.

Do the 62s and eTrex behave the same?

I intend to use the unit as a track logger for geotagging my photos.

You started a thread on a topic of great interest to me.

You are off topic really...

Questions about the Garmin eTrex 20 GPS accuracy and track log

...and it would be better for everyone if you used that quote to start another thread about photo tagging, but not here!

<_<

AFAIK they use the same chipset. Batteries are a bit tight, at least the NiMh rechargeables I use are, but they can easily be levered out using the battery cover, which conveniently has a couple of pointy bits :)

Sounds like the Garmin haven't changed one bit since the 62s! I'm using the Eneloops and I have no problems removing them from the 60csx. With the 62s, I still have to use my nail clipper!

I used my eTrex 20 when I visited Vietnam during March 2013.

I only used the eTrex 20 as a track logger. I was very pleased with its accuracy and its excellent battery life.

It proved to be a very small, accurate and economical track logger.

Go to this gallery of images and maps to view the tracks the eTrex 20 logged while in Vietnam: GO HERE