Not receiving Validation emails

colleda

To find the email address associated with your phone number, check this page, or search the internet for "email-to-SMS," followed by the name of your cellular service provider. You should be able to find details regarding how your mobile service provider configures their email-to-SMS addresses. The address will typically be your ten-digit phone number followed by some version of "@MobileCarrierName.com."

There are a couple things going on here. One-you said you have added your phone number. It is not your phone number, but rather an email address that is probably based on your phone number that you need.

I've tried adding our mobile phone numbers for SMS alerts but I'm not receiving emails for validation. What's going wrong?

You probably also have your email you used to sign up. So what you are trying to do is to get notification sent to your email and at least 2 phones(with different numbers)

While you can have multiple email addresses, you can only have ONE that gets notifications. So you sign up with email@email.com and add your phone email edresses-phone1@email.com and phone2@email.com

This will not automatically send the notifications to either phone, you have to go to the link you so kindly provided yourself and go to step 2 in the notifications to SMS.

Just a heads up, depending on your provider the message may me cut off. It is best to go with an email address such a gmail. create a gmail account and have all devices signed onto that account, this way you can get your notifications on all devices, yet still be using one email address.

Where did you do that? I've never seen where you can to that. I've only seen where you set up email and there have been requests for SMS on the forum but didn't think they had set that up.

In the Help Centre 1.5 Instant Notifications

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=184

Well gosh golly gee ma. I didn't know we could do that. Thanks. Gonna bookmark that.

To find the email address associated with your phone number, check this page, or search the internet for "email-to-SMS," followed by the name of your cellular service provider. You should be able to find details regarding how your mobile service provider configures their email-to-SMS addresses. The address will typically be your ten-digit phone number followed by some version of "@MobileCarrierName.com."

There are a couple things going on here. One-you said you have added your phone number. It is not your phone number, but rather an email address that is probably based on your phone number that you need.

I've tried adding our mobile phone numbers for SMS alerts but I'm not receiving emails for validation. What's going wrong?

You probably also have your email you used to sign up. So what you are trying to do is to get notification sent to your email and at least 2 phones(with different numbers)

While you can have multiple email addresses, you can only have ONE that gets notifications. So you sign up with email@email.com and add your phone email edresses-phone1@email.com and phone2@email.com

This will not automatically send the notifications to either phone, you have to go to the link you so kindly provided yourself and go to step 2 in the notifications to SMS.

Just a heads up, depending on your provider the message may me cut off. It is best to go with an email address such a gmail. create a gmail account and have all devices signed onto that account, this way you can get your notifications on all devices, yet still be using one email address.

My email is already with gmail.

I added the numbers in the format set out in section two, number@mycarrier from the list I found elsewhere in this forum (but now can't find).

Not sure what else I can do.

Are you saying that I can't have new cache alerts sent to my email AND my phone, it's got to be one or the other?

Is there something I'm not seeing here. BTW I'm not a frequent mobile/cell phone user and have just updated to a Windows 8 phone which is SMS enabled.

I've never used a phone for caching either as I use a GPSr.

My email is already with gmail.

I added the numbers in the format set out in section two, number@mycarrier from the list I found elsewhere in this forum (but now can't find).

Not sure what else I can do.

Are you saying that I can't have new cache alerts sent to my email AND my phone, it's got to be one or the other?

Is there something I'm not seeing here. BTW I'm not a frequent mobile/cell phone user and have just updated to a Windows 8 phone which is SMS enabled.

I've never used a phone for caching either as I use a GPSr.

Yes and no. I'm saying that you can have alerts sent to one email address. Not device, email address.

Now if you use that address on multiple devices you get alerts to multiple devices. Since you use gmail already, you can download the gmail app to your phone. Just log in with your existing account. When you get a new notification, it your phone will ring, or buzz, or whatever, just like when you get a text message.

Your phone breaks and get a new one? Get a new number? No problem-use the same account. No need to mess around and add a new email address every time. Get them on your Windows phone, your kids iPhone, your computer, even your neighbors Android, all with one email address.

I don't know about Windows, but I have an iPhone. I get the notification, and if I click the link to the cache, I can open it either on the internet browser, or the geocaching app. Don't think you can do that with the SMS based notifications. Your phone is capable of doing this, no need to do it with SMS.

Edited by T.D.M.22

What's a Gmail app? I have gmail on my phone via wifi. I don't have a data plan at the moment.

It seems I'm just getting more confused, but thanks anyway TDM for your suggestions.

We are having a local (HAVOC) event this Sunday (20/10) where we will have 3 reviewers attending for a Q & A session. I'll try and get some hands on help from the experts attending. Cheers.

Just to clear up some things. You can add more than one email address to your account, including one such as number@carrier.net. Each Instant Notification can be set to send to a single email address, but you can set up two identical notifications, one sent to your main email address and the other to your number@carrier.net address.

The address wont be available until you validate it. I just added one of my addresses as a test and it did take about ten minutes until I got the validation email. If you are not getting the validation email, I would suggest that you try using your regular email account to send a short message to the address you are trying to add. If you have the format correct, you should get the text on your phone.

Edited by Don_J