Lots of "discovered", but TB doesn't move

Fam_Wuyts

I'm very new to GC, so I may have a stupid question, but I don't seem to find an explanation...

I have 2 TB's going around. One of the two is located in Spain and I get every day mails about "(name) has discoverd...", but the TB doesn't move.

What does this mean ? How come that everybody seems to find my TB, but nobody moves it ??? :huh:

I have 2 TB's going around. One of the two is located in Spain and I get every day mails about "(name) has discoverd...", but the TB doesn't move.

What does this mean ? How come that everybody seems to find my TB, but nobody moves it ??? :huh:

There are a lot of logs like "Discovered it in the MEGA 2013 La Pineda event". So cachers were given lists of tracking numbers of TBs at the events, or they each noted the Tracking Number among all the TBs on a "Discover Only" table.

The "Geocaching Events" are gatherings of cachers. There is no "cache container" except a box full of Trackables spread out for the Event. As the party wound down, people might have been asked "take a few TBs if you like!", and now a few people took a few too many TBs to manage, and some poor soul is left holding the box of many more TBs. A bunch of the TBs need Drop logs, so the current holders have to wait for previous logs to catch up. It may take a while before Event-placed TBs get back into play. At Mega Events lately, some people volunteer to guard the TB table so that nice coins aren't pocketed with nobody knowing what happened. Maybe that Event had a similar deal. In the meantime, enjoy all the discover logs! :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

That's pretty neat... 10 pages of Discoveries, most of them multiple times from single cachers... <Duhhh>!

Expect it to continue for quite a while. It usually happens that some take months to get to the logging. Large Events make for lots of late logs.

The multiple logging may be the result of the "in-person" Discovery, then to have received a printed list. Bad move really (printed lists), but it happens and there is little you can do about it.

Well, the OP can spend some time eliminating the duplicates... 10 pages of mostly two logs from each 'discoverer', with one .. biker2c with 5 or 6 logs. Must have had poor data coverage there.

Too bad that happens, but perhaps it could be worse, they might have had autolog ON.

Interesting that the Trackables list as 'Discover Me Tags'. I wonder if that is part of the problem overall, but they did get retrieved and dropped before the Mega thingy.

Doug 7rxc

Well, the OP can spend some time eliminating the duplicates...

Yes. Delete, delete, deltet, I say.

10 pages of mostly two logs from each 'discoverer', with one .. biker2c with 5 or 6 logs. Must have had poor data coverage there.

I think the trackables were listed on two separate lists and during the mega-logging people didn't know they logged twice. Delete away!

Must have had poor data coverage there.
Do you mean I did something wrong there ? :unsure:

Oh, and some other question too.

I understand that there are lists of TB-numbers, then, so that anybody can log the TB, even if he didn't discover it ?

Why would you like to do that ? Isn't that cheating ?

Edited by Fam_Wuyts

Owkay....I don't quite follow, I'm sorry.

Do I have to delete these logs, then ? Euhm...why ? :anicute::unsure:

Must have had poor data coverage there.
Do you mean I did something wrong there ? :unsure:

Oh, and some other question too.

I understand that there are lists of TB-numbers, then, so that anybody can log the TB, even if he didn't discover it ?

Why would you like to do that ? Isn't that cheating ?

You don't have to delete duplicate logs on your trackables, but you can if you like.

The "poor data coverage" just means that if you try to log something from your phone when you've only got one bar of cell service, it might tell you that the log failed to go through, so you try again, and again, but in reality the logs were going through so now you have several of the same thing. Or you actually do just submit it once but because you're on the fringes of cell service, three duplicate logs mysteriously appear.

With respect to logging trackables that you never actually saw, some people are very much into that. If it's a geocoin, then they get a new icon on their profile page for logging it (so they're collecting icons). Or maybe it's just the appeal of seeing their trackable numbers going up, I'm not sure.

I would consider it cheating, but I don't think everyone agrees with that assessment.