How I Spent My Weekend...

Jayme H

Spent Saturday with some good friends from SF Peninsula (one being WarNinjas) to cache storm drains in Petaluma. Dirty job but someone has to do it. :P I was the only one wearing a hard hat and so glad I did on some that the ceiling was lower and all I can hear and felt was the hat scraping. Also wore waterproof mud boots and so glad I did. Spotted a crawfish which is all white probably after being in the tunnel too long. A large probably wolf spider and salamander. Lots of Graffiti, some were really well done. It was fun and hope to do more.

Petaluma Underground

Edited by jellis

Spent Saturday with some good friends from SF Peninsula (one being WarNinjas) to cache storm drains in Petaluma. Dirty job but someone has to do it. :P I was the only one wearing a hard hat and so glad I did on some that the ceiling was lower and all I can hear and felt was the hat scraping. Also wore waterproof mud boots and so glad I did. Spotted a crawfish which is all white probably after being in the tunnel too long. A large probably wolf spider and salamander. Lots of Graffiti, some were really well done. It was fun and hope to do more.

Petaluma Underground

Wow! That's really wild - or at least it seems so to a girl from the suburbs :lol: The spider would have stopped me in my tracks. No cache today, let's go.

Busy Weekend... For us, a 3day holiday for Victoria Day.

Friday was a regular cache maintenance trip by bus... like to make sure The World's Biggest Truck is all good to go for the busy weekend... as well as some others. Saturday, decided to go out caching, and first off to meet up with a cacher who was trying to FIND the WBT cache... Meet we did, and after discussing his previous attempts and things he could do to improve his approach (which was getting him close), find it he did. I only snickered a little bit. After that there was lunch at the Subway (I like fine restaurants) and then down valley a bit to try and clean out a forestry road of it's unfound by me caches. Got them now, repaired one that needed a tiny bit of help as per previous logs, found another that has migrated a bit. Advised the owner of both. Oh! took a pic or two, sun was out of the clouds briefly for this one... the other is just a friend who was along.

aa751503-e905-463a-b9e7-0853006d5c7e.jpg

This looks southward towards Hosmer, BC from the hill above Sparwood's south edge.

After that one we finished working from the top down to clear the caches... then back to Sparwood for supper at A&W. Then home to Elkford.

Rest of the weekend was spent finishing off my middle age. Monday I became a legal Senior (65)... and for some reason I now feel achy and a bit testy... I suppose that comes with the title... or maybe it's just the weather changing again...

Back another weekend!

Doug 7rxc

We found our 800th cache this weekend - on Mother's Day - and all the NoisyHikers and the two Mini-Hikers and the Mini-Hiker-in-Progress were there to celebrate!

7d01e7e2-062e-499f-b1b8-4d11ccf30873.jpg

Congrats on the milestone, and the family gathering (and growing).

Just got home yesterday after 2 weeks on the road, covered some 11,000 kms, 12 States and 3 countries, saw some pretty cool things.

5567799a-6ad1-4cae-9e65-1a2f8bb8d74e.jpg?rnd=0.6967856

Cool Cactus.

edd08d1a-f984-403c-b60f-d5eea5e0605f.jpg?rnd=0.1774714

My first (and only) Mexico cache.

b5540991-6213-4675-81d8-4f15b1ec3752.jpg?rnd=0.5045369

First time I ever saw a vulture.

cfdff93d-d0d7-4c7e-9a80-0e863020532b.jpg?rnd=0.05930293

Chilling inside the Alamo.

07a3586c-20a5-4824-a687-2302ee094898.jpg?rnd=0.206965

Two feet, two States.

I rarely check in on these forums, but this thread caught my eye. We live in Houston, TX and are anxiously counting down the days until our summer roadtrip to NM, AZ, NV, and CA. Reading about all of these adventures and seeing the awesome pictures (please, everyone, identify the locations) whet my appetite for our upcoming hiking and camping adventures. Last weekend, we made the 3 hour drive to Lafayette, Louisiana to do the Louisiana Star. We have now completed the Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana stars and plan to do NM, NV, and CA stars in July. Happy Trails, all!!!

I spent my weekend flying to a small regional airport in southern France for a field course. We're studying outcrop analogues of a Middle Eastern oil reservoir (do I hear some yawning here?) and have marvelous dinners in the evening :lol: I noticed it is possible to go for caches inbetween. Yesterday I picked up three. One was about 200m from the outcrop we looked at so I rushed around the corner and towards gz the direct way - through a tangle of thorns and vines and returned the easy way, all scratched and bruised. The second cache was next to an old church were we had lunch. That was an easy pickup. The third was on top of a hill at yet another church. This one I only managed to find after we were finished with looking at rocks. Lets see if we end up near caches today as well.

Mrs. terratin

Been busy packing and moving house. On the way home from storage last friday, I started feeling lousy and decided that getting off the road and stopped was critical, started braking and saw a convenient road to turn onto and stop. NOT! Almost there I passed out and the truck went on it's own way down a small embankement and on into the woods until it high centered on small brush (missed a tree by inches there, but not on the way in. Busted windshield and some dents, no real injury, but still working on why it happened. Was able to extract it next day. Just a drive out other than the high centering.

Oops! forgot the photo. Back soon.

100_2920.jpg

100_2922.jpg

Not a good way to end a week of moving... other than that no one (even me) was hurt. Slows down the caching a lot.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Been busy packing and moving house. On the way home from storage last friday, I started feeling lousy and decided that getting off the road and stopped was critical, started braking and saw a convenient road to turn onto and stop. NOT! Almost there I passed out and the truck went on it's own way down a small embankement and on into the woods until it high centered on small brush (missed a tree by inches there, but not on the way in. Busted windshield and some dents, no real injury, but still working on why it happened. Was able to extract it next day. Just a drive out other than the high centering.

Oops! forgot the photo. Back soon.

100_2920.jpg

100_2922.jpg

Not a good way to end a week of moving... other than that no one (even me) was hurt. Slows down the caching a lot.

Doug 7rxc

Glad to hear you weren't hurt, Doug. ICBC will cover the damage to the truck....I hope! Probably happened was due to the stress and work of moving. Apparently, moving is one of the most stressful things we do. Take care, and all the best in your new home.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt, Doug. ICBC will cover the damage to the truck....I hope! Probably happened was due to the stress and work of moving. Apparently, moving is one of the most stressful things we do. Take care, and all the best in your new home.

Thanks for the thoughts... actually it was fairly minor, but raised a lot of WHY questions... Anyway, I'm away from the stress of being put out, and am starting to look for a new place, but cheques keep avoiding me in the mail. Old one no good, new one a dream etc. Using a GD address for one group and a friends place for the DL etc.

Funny side note was a chap ribbing me about living out of my car at my friends place (I'm working on both truck and his place while waiting for things to clear a bit more). He just couldn't understand how a set of circumstances could put you out of your home so quickly. The other morning he got told the place he lives in is being sold and he has to move out asap (within the rental rules of course). Karma... ahhh.

Had he had this experience a little over a month ago, we both could have had a place (mine) but no way.

Another good thing... my truck had taken to sucking gas in unusually high volumes... round trip was 20 bucks easy (to the storage and back)... while safety checking the truck, I found a broken vacuum line (main source) and the lack of vacuum for the EC system on the engine was messing up the computer's efforts to work it out.

Just cut off a half inch and put it back... did 3 trips for 20 with gas left over tospare... Oh yes.. the first trip was to get the windshield replaced and move some boxes... Still contemplating the nature of what could have happened, that did NOT. Even found a new cache I didn't notice locally due to being busy.

THAT is what I did last weekend!

Doug 7rxc