Mystery Cache

MikeofKorea

I've seen this done before, but I don't know how common it is. I want to create a Mystery Cache in which any premium member will have the opportunity to solve a puzzle or code to determine a set of cache coordinates but not have to visit the physical cache location. By this method, a person could earn a South Korea badge (I live in South Korea) without having to actually fly to South Korea. I would like to hear some feedback about this. As I said, I have seen it before, but I'm not going to say where just in case it's a can of worms. If it's a can of worms, then I'll drop the idea.

Sounds to me like what is known as armchair logging - which I believe contravenes the guidelines.

I would also expect - assuming the souvenir is an official Groundspeak one - that Groundspeak wouldn't like this either.

I suppose it has the possibility of abuse. I think it's a fun activity, deciphering coordinates just for the sake of deciphering them, but that probably falls outside the realm of geocaching. Thanks for your reply.

Worms, lots of worms.

Plus not really geocaching.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably won't pursue this idea further.

Why not just go ahead and create your mystery (puzzle), keep it open to all, and simply state that anyone is welcome to solve and log a note to that effect. Just don't let them claim a find until they do. Many of us have solved puzzles all over the place. We just don't claim the find until someday we might do so.

You just might entice someone to actually come to South Korea to visit and cache. I don't think anything precludes you from offering a 'homemade' souvenir image to anyone who does solve it. Just don't think that GS will. Although some of us would like an official 'Solved It! log option for puzzles. But that could be abused to I guess... and it isn't really Geocaching without the find. Meanwhile I have to get back to solving the latest Randy Hall letterbox... my teammate (sort of official partner in that) just managed to take our first results and find one of the boxes yesterday. Now those are puzzles.

Doug 7rxc