Take more than 1000 queries with me?

Cutlass_Stallion

Hello everybody,

I think everybody is well aware of the cache storage limit imposed by most GPSr devices. I was wondering what methods you all use to upload more than 1000 cache locations into your GPSr device? Aside from of course having a mobile data connection, or cutting down the amount of info for each cache, what else can be done? I suppose bringing a laptop with pre-downloaded queries could work, but that can be bulky. Has anybody ever tried storing a few queries on their mobile device, and then somehow upload them to their GPSr via a USB connection? It seems like it should be doable (I own a Nexus 7 tablet). Any ideas you all could offer would be much appreciated, as I have a few "mini-trips" coming up. Thanks!

~Cutlass_Stallion

If your GPSr supports storing those caches on flash cards (and has a flash card slot) you can prep a number of different cards before you go and then just swap them out as you need them...

Last time I did a road trip from Washington to California, I created three different cards, one for each state. It had all the caches I wanted as well as location specific maps. ( I use a 60Csx and store all the caches as POIs, so I don't get very much info for each cache, but I can fit a lot of caches.)

-TWT

Hello everybody,

I think everybody is well aware of the cache storage limit imposed by most GPSr devices. I was wondering what methods you all use to upload more than 1000 cache locations into your GPSr device? Aside from of course having a mobile data connection, or cutting down the amount of info for each cache, what else can be done? I suppose bringing a laptop with pre-downloaded queries could work, but that can be bulky. Has anybody ever tried storing a few queries on their mobile device, and then somehow upload them to their GPSr via a USB connection? It seems like it should be doable (I own a Nexus 7 tablet). Any ideas you all could offer would be much appreciated, as I have a few "mini-trips" coming up. Thanks!

~Cutlass_Stallion

Use the Nuvi POI file creation, A rebuild of GPX_by_Cache_Type. GSAK macro to make POIs. POIs are not limited to the units max. I have never reached the upper limit on how many caches I can add to my unit.

Hello everybody,

~Cutlass_Stallion

I assume you are talking about the 1000 cache limit that is on each Pocket Query.

If you have a Garmin, just run several PQs (up to 1000 caches ea) and copy all the resulting GPX files directly to your GPS into the /Garmin/GPX folder.

Hello everybody,

~Cutlass_Stallion

I assume you are talking about the 1000 cache limit that is on each Pocket Query.

If you have a Garmin, just run several PQs (up to 1000 caches ea) and copy all the resulting GPX files directly to your GPS into the /Garmin/GPX folder.

Not good advice without knowing the units limit. Putting three of those on a garmin 450 will result in one third not being loaded and can crash the unit on boot.

As you can see, the responses are going to vary widely.

Some units will hold far more than do others. Some (manufacturer) units store files in different manners than do others.

Some Magellan units will hold 10,000 (internal); some Garmin units 12,000 (internal}; current Delorme units can hold as many as you can stuff onto a 32 GB SD card (a REALLY big number) -- this (loading technique, queries separated by name) may or may not be applicable to other makes.

Previous generation GPSr units have varying capacities. So the statement about most GPSr units being limited to 1,000 is somewhat outdated.

Some tablet devices are capable of downloading to a GPSr, some are not. Most, if not all, laptops are capable.

With a mediocre amount of planning, nothing along your lines of proposal is impossible, even with an older generation GPSr.

True, you may need to take a break and load more data... but that is merely minutes, with practice.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hello everybody,

~Cutlass_Stallion

Yes, my GPSr does have a storage card slot in it. This actually seems like the best possible option for me at the moment. As a possible option, I tried hooking up my Nexus 7 tablet to my Garmin Dakota 20, but am not sure how to make one communicate with the other; I think your idea seems to be the most practical, thanks!!

Hello everybody,

~Cutlass_Stallion

Use the Nuvi POI file creation, A rebuild of GPX_by_Cache_Type. GSAK macro to make POIs. POIs are not limited to the units max. I have never reached the upper limit on how many caches I can add to my unit.

Wow, awesome looking program! I'll give this a try and see how it works out; thanks!

As you can see, the responses are going to vary widely.

Some units will hold far more than do others. Some (manufacturer) units store files in different manners than do others.

Some Magellan units will hold 10,000 (internal); some Garmin units 12,000 (internal}; current Delorme units can hold as many as you can stuff onto a 32 GB SD card (a REALLY big number) -- this (loading technique, queries separated by name) may or may not be applicable to other makes.

Previous generation GPSr units have varying capacities. So the statement about most GPSr units being limited to 1,000 is somewhat outdated.

Some tablet devices are capable of downloading to a GPSr, some are not. Most, if not all, laptops are capable.

With a mediocre amount of planning, nothing along your lines of proposal is impossible, even with an older generation GPSr.

True, you may need to take a break and load more data... but that is merely minutes, with practice.

Yes, I tried hooking up my Nexus 7 tablet to my Garmin Dakota 20, but am not sure how to make one communicate with the other. I am otherwise able to load up unlimited 1000-cache queries to my tablet; I just need a way to manage my GPSr from it.

Yes, I tried hooking up my Nexus 7 tablet to my Garmin Dakota 20, but am not sure how to make one communicate with the other. I am otherwise able to load up unlimited 1000-cache queries to my tablet; I just need a way to manage my GPSr from it.

You might need to transfer a pocket query from the tablet to the a microsd card, which can be done through using a USB Adaptor. You may have to root the android for this to work.

There are other options - like the Airstash - that will transfer files from the tablet to an sd card through built wifi. Just make sure that the file is in the garmin/GPX folder on the sd card.

Edited by geodarts

I have the Galaxy S3 phone and first-generation Nexus 7 tablet and use a USB-OTG cable to copy GPX files from phone or tablet to my Garmin eTrex 30. I bought the cable on Amazon for something like $5. I did not have to do anything on the phone to get it to work. Just connected the two. I think the phone asked me if I wanted to use USB storage mode or something like that. If I recall correctly, I had to enable Developer mode on the tablet so I could turn on USB storage mode. This was not complicated or considered rooting. I just followed the easy instructions that I found on YouTube when I searched for USB OTG and Nexus 7 on YouTube.

The Nexus and Galaxy can see both the internal Garmin storage and SD card storage. On the Galaxy, as soon as the eTrex boots into USB mode, the Galaxy automatically opens the My Files app and displays 'USB Drive A' and 'USB Drive B'. Pretty darned slick!

I use CacheSense on the phone & tablet and can do live searching in the field, export to GPX and then copy it to the Etrex.