Missing cache, silent CO

clubstew

Many people in the Pacific Northwest are probably familiar with Mailbox Peak. It's a tough climb and there's several GCs along the route, but the summit cache is missing and has been for a while. I had to DNF it and the CO eventually disabled it. I would like to replace this cache, but I also think it needs to be moved a little. The current GC cords are too easy to spot and too exposed to muggles when at the summit. There's a large bush just ~10' away and only about 5' down elevation-wise.

I've emailed the CO a few times but have not gotten a response. I'd like to work with him to either adopt it or at least see if he's consider moving it to the area I found that's out of the way but still would qualify as a summit cache. It's been a couple months now with no reply and I'm going up there tomorrow anyway (it's a good training hike).

So should I simply replace the cache or attempt to move it? I have a nice, brand new plastic ammo can so I'd rather no replace it if it will just get muggled again or the CO doesn't want it moved.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts about what to do.

Also, if someone replaces a cache for a CO, is it cool to sign it too? I've seen it both ways about equally.

If the CO isn't maintaining his existing cache what makes you think he's going to maintain a new one?

If the cache is disabled for a couple of months and the CO is unresponsive then log Needs Archived against it, wait for the reviewer to archive it for non-maintenance, and then by all means place your own hide wherever you see fit.

If you replace the cache for an inactive CO all you do is send out a message that people don't need to bother maintaining their caches because someone else will do it. The trouble is that someone else can't remove the Needs Maintenance attribute or enable the cache. (If the CO was still active but just wasn't headed to a remote area any time soon it would be a different matter if you chose to help them out)

Thanks. That makes sense. I only wish I'd done so earlier so the CO would either reply or the reviewers would archive it so I could take a new one up there tomorrow. I suppose I always could anyway and create a new cache, and if it doesn't get approved I'll just remove it next time I'm up there.

I only wish I'd done so earlier so the CO would either reply or the reviewers would archive it so I could take a new one up there tomorrow.

If the location is so inconvenient that you need to be able to place the cache when you happen to already be there, then it might be the sort of placement you're not inclined to maintain. Maybe you're different. I don't know. The rule of thumb, as best I can tell, is that if a person places a cache in a location that they did not visit for the express purpose of placing a cache (they already happened to be going there for other reasons, like a vacation), then they aren't likely to make a trip out there just to maintain it, either.

You may already know this, but the reviewer is apt to give the CO some time to fix his hide before archiving it. In Oregon, 30 days seems to be the norm. Sometimes this is done via a note on the cache page for all to see, and I believe that sometimes it's done via e-mail (so you might not see any action on the cache page, but that doesn't necessarily mean nothing's happening). So, in other words, it might be a while before the cache is archived. Perhaps even into the snow season.

I looked Mailbox Peak up - looks like an awesome hike! I'll have to put it on my "someday" list. :)