GPS Device vs Experience !

We've been looking at geocacing for few years and we decided to give it a try last weekend. Using my old Magellan 3000-XL, we went to seach 2-3 caches in our area. What a desaster...

My GPS is probably outdated. The best we could get in terms of accuracy was a ± 200ft (60 meters) radius in search of a box the size of a peanut can. after a while, we just dropped the idea and got back home.

If we have to have fun out of this, we need something that will get us close. I'm a fine woodworker at home and I have to right tools to get the job done, on the notch with precision, ease and satisfaction...

What would be the equivalent in terms of GPS (budget is $300-$400).

Thanks folks... Our "continuation" I guess depend on finding the right GPS !!! (what about a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx).

Thanks in Advance...

G

\

My GPS is probably outdated. The best we could get in terms of accuracy was a ± 200ft (60 meters) radius in search of a box the size of a peanut can. after a while, we just dropped the idea and got back home.

If we have to have fun out of this, we need something that will get us close. I'm a fine woodworker at home and I have to right tools to get the job done, on the notch with precision, ease and satisfaction...

I'm sure you know as a fine woodworker that your tools in the hands of someone less experienced than you won't yield the same results. The same can be said about geocaching. A newer GPS may not necessarily get you closer the to geocache. Whatever GPS you decide to go with you should start out with a couple of easy geocaches. Look for ones that are labeled as having a large cache container, is a traditional cache, has a difficulty rating of 1 or 2, and has a terrain rating of less than 4.

The newer GPSRs from Garmin - the eTrex 20 and eTrex 30, as well as the Oregon 600/650 series have support for the GLONASS signals too, which will help give you a better (ie: more accurate) satellite lock in difficult reception conditions. The Oregons might be a little above your ideal price bracket (not sure about pricing outside the UK), but the eTrex models should be within it. The downside to the eTrexes is that there are still a few bugs in the firmware (though less and less) and they are rather slow in redrawing maps - though still remarkably powerful compared to your old Magellan.

There is really no comparison between a good, modern GPSR and one of the older units such as you have.