belated logging

diewildebande

maybe some expert can help:

we dropped a TB in a cache on vacation in france, but unfortunatly it was grabbed (from us not the cache!) by someone else, before we had a chance to log it as dropped off. The person, that grabbed the TB from us, only wrote a note "found on the atlantic ocean" and also didn`t log it in the cache we dropped it in - instead he took/ logged it in a cache around 500 miles away...

The owner would like to see our drop-off in the TBs history and map, so he mailes the tracking number.

As I read on the help site, I now have to grabb the TB from its current cache, log it with the correct date in July in "our" cache in France and then drop it off again in its current cache.

Question: will all caches, the TB visited since it was grabbed from us in July, still be there after I do the correction? The TB travelled around several miles and caches since then, and I don`t want to delete all this by blending in "our" travelling-station.

Thanks for your advice

The dates of the logs are key here. What you could try is in three stages:

Log 1: do a 'retrieve log' of the TB from the cache it currently is in, with today's date.

Log 2: do a 'write note' log on the cache you dropped it in, with a short log like 'TB visit'. Make sure you mark the TB as visiting that cache, and critically, make sure the date of the log matches the date you visited that cache. (i.e. the date it actually went there)

You'll still have the TB in your inventory now, so run a 3rd log:

Log 3: do another 'write note' log on the cache the TB is actually in, with another short log like 'TB drop'. Only this time marked that you've dropped the TB off. At the end of it the TB is in the cache it's actually in. This is with today's date again.

If I've worked this out right, the chronology of the logs is as follows:

•  
  • You have TB in your possession.
  • TB visits the cache you dropped it off in.
  • Someone grabs it.
  • Someone takes it to a whole load of caches.
  • Someone drops it off in the cache it's in now.
  • You effectively retrieve it from that cache and put it back in the same cache.

Now if, once you've done these things, the TB owner clicks 'recalculate mileage' on the TB page, the mileage should be correct.

If somebody could think that through and check my reasoning is correct?

Edited by Beach_hut

Log 3: do another 'write note' log on the cache the TB is actually in, with another short log like 'TB drop'.

Then you could delete the Note log (Log 3 above) on the cache. Since you did not actually visit that cache your Note log is no longer necessary. The trackable will stay in the cache and your Note will not be cluttering up the cache page.

So you're getting answers, and it's nice of you to be concerned, but me, I would just shrug and forget about it. Well, and I'd post a properly dated note to the TB's log saying what happened, but I wouldn't bother trying to grab it and drop it and blah, blah, blah. Yes, the guy that grabbed it should have logged it into the cache where he found it, but he didn't. That's too bad, but it's not your problem, and it's not really that big of a deal, anyway. The TB's moving on now, and that's the important thing.

So you're getting answers, and it's nice of you to be concerned, but me, I would just shrug and forget about it. Well, and I'd post a properly dated note to the TB's log saying what happened, but I wouldn't bother trying to grab it and drop it and blah, blah, blah. Yes, the guy that grabbed it should have logged it into the cache where he found it, but he didn't. That's too bad, but it's not your problem, and it's not really that big of a deal, anyway. The TB's moving on now, and that's the important thing.

My thoughts exactly. The TB owner should consider himself lucky the thing is being logged at all given the general condition of trackables now. Besides he could do it himself if it is so important. No need to involve this guy.

Clearest example of why you should really really realllly consider whether or not to purchase and release a Travel Bug. If the people you are asking for help can't explain a completely simple process and in fact degrade you for asking, there is not much hope for any TB.

BD

Edited by BlueDeuce

I wonder if you could just go to your log and add it as a drop off and pick up on the same log as your visit to the cache prior to the person grabbing it from you.. I would think that would also work and not affect the later visits it made... :/ ?

Then every thing else should stay the same...

Edited by Yahoo-chick

Clearest example of why you should really really realllly consider whether or not to purchase and release a Travel Bug. If the people you are asking for help can't explain a completely simple process and in fact degrade you for asking, there is not much hope for any TB.

Dunno how you got degrading out of my comment that he shouldn't worry about it.

The process was already explained, so there was no reason for me to describe it again. Furthermore, the process isn't actually simple at all, and I would suggest that it's as likely to cause new problems as to fix the rather minor glitch.

Dunno how you got degrading out of my comment that he shouldn't worry about it.

The process was already explained, so there was no reason for me to describe it again. Furthermore, the process isn't actually simple at all, and I would suggest that it's as likely to cause new problems as to fix the rather minor glitch.

You can't be bothered with it so why are you posting?