Garmin 60Cx versus 62 Cx (series)

Hi people

have any of you gone from a 60 to a 62.

My 62Cx I love...but the casing is falling apart...no fault of the unit.My use and abuse.

I may have chance to secure a near new 62 (compass model).

Would be interested in feed back on ease of use in the field....marking way points, moving caches to "found" then find next ETC.

Do they work in a similar way.

Can I delete all way points except say "found" or or such symbols: ie, retain waypoints I want to keep in the unit.

Thank you.

We went from a 60c to a 62st.

Compared to the 60 we like the 62 because of its accuracy and good compass. We also chose the 62 to be able to do chirp caches. When we decided we had to choose between the 62 or the oregon, but after trying the oregon of a friend, we found the 62 better for us, less risks with the screen and it just felt better. But this of course is just what you're used to and prefer.

You can delete waypoints, but you can't delete geocaches. You can mark them as a find and then go to the next one, but the get them out of the gps you'll have to connect it to your computer.

What we don't like are the problems we're having with the 62, problems we never had with the 60:

1) Every now and then it suddenly stops, like the batteries are empty and does nothing at all. Won't restart. We sent it back and got another one after some weeks. This "new" one had the same problem as we discovered after some time. But then we had some good advice from another geocacher to use the method of turning the gps off and then pressing the buttons menu, quit, out and power all at the same time for 3 seconds and then let go. This gives a restart without deleting anything. So that solves that problem and not having to send it back each time ;).

2) Caches dissappear from the gps. Well, they don't really disappear, they just are not visible on the map of the gps or in the list. If attached to the computer we can see the caches being on the gps, but for some reason they suddenly stopped being shown. We had this once while out on a tour in Russia. In the morning everything was fine and in the afternoon I turn on the gps after lunch and... nothing..... no fun! Solution: remove gpx file and put gps file back on gps again. We had this problem twice, so luckily not often, but since then we bring our old gps with us on specific trips abroad and/or print outs of the must do caches and have back up gpx files on the netbook we take with us.

3)inconvenient changes after updates. For instance something that is really annoying, but wasn't the case before one of the last garmin updates: If I choose a cache and then watch it on the compass, I often can't swith directly back to the map. It should, but just doesn't work properly anymore. To solve this I for instance go from compass first to tripcomputer menu and then to map. Very annoying, but work around solves the problem.

So personally I wouldn't recommend the 62st, although I prefer it above my old 60c. I'm sure there must be good and less good and bad batches of this type of gps. But since we had 3 different gps's (send it back twice) I don't trust this type anymore. But I know geocachers who didn't have problems 1 and 2 (yet), but they do less travelling. The 60Cx is different, has a better compass then the 60C we have, so you might find less differences in use.

Guess the best thing to see what works for you is just to try different gps models by going caching with another geocacher who has another type!

We went from a 60 CSx to a 62S and liked it so much I got a second one. I like the 62 better in every way except the 60 might have a more robust case. There is a small learning curve and I tried different firmware but found 2.90 ( I think, will correct if wrong) to be the best.

I think you will enjoy the 62S.

Used to have a 60Cx and upgraded to the 62S. The 60Cx (and CSx) are real workhorses, as you already know. I found the 62S to be a nice unit, especially once the firmware matured. Still, I eventually parted with the 62S, and switched to using a Vista HCx and POI Loader for some semblance of paperless caching. To me, the newer Garmin GPS units seem like consumer devices, and the older models seem more like true instruments / tools. And it sure wouldn't hurt if Garmin would put out more documentation on how the file structure works with these new models. You wind up with a pile of .GPX files just to create a handful of waypoints. Then you're not sure what you should keep, what you can delete, and how to consolidate. So, from a caching perspective, the 62S is great. But if you want to do other things with your GPS, you might start pulling your hair out. Just my $0.02...

Edited by Pacific NW