Gold Lake geocache found after 11 years!

I had the Gold Lake geocache on my Watchlist for sometime. Got a notification it had been found for the first time since 2002! Was quite interested to read the log as I was in the early stages of planning a possible expedition next July to find it.

The log didn't offer much description, and this fact led me to dig a little deeper and prompted this email to the geocacher who found it.

"Hi there! Noticed you were the First to Find Gold Lake cache in Nunavut on July 17th. This cache was on my watchlist and was quite interested to read your log about the adventure to find the cache that has been undiscovered since 2002!

Good job! I expected a bit more of a log for such a remote and difficult loaction to get to, than just "TFTC :D".

Upon further inspection, I see you have been a geocaching member since Aug 3 2013, with 23 finds. Between July 17 and July 18, I see you have found caches in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Just east of Greenland, Spain, Germany, and three in Canada (Saskatchewan/Manitoba/Nunavut).

Then on July 20th, to India, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, UK.

How did you perform such a feat? I'll contact podcacher and geocaching blog people so they can interview you on this amazing adventure. This has got to be one for the record books!

But perhaps your logs are bogus. If they are, I suggest you delete your logs. Especially the Gold Lake cache, that has been unfound since 2002, has 26 people watching it. I'm sure some of those 26 people are considering and planning an expedition to find it."

No reply as of yet.... Lol. What would prompt someone to do this? Would this travel to so many places, some very remote be even possible?

Gold Lake geocache is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=168562d5-dcb5-445a-99ff-bee7462fb55b

If it is bogus, how to get it removed?

Bogus. Although the join date is 2003, all the finds posted have been in July 2013. Someone probably had a 3rd or 4th sock puppet account they forgot about, and decided to start logging in, and, for whatever reason, that they were going to log caches all over the world. I'd keep planning the expedition. :)

Not that it matters much, but

The join date of the sock puppet is listed as 2013.

The join date of the hider is listed as 2003

The hide date is listed as 2002.

At least the sock puppet has a lot of great looking souvenirs now.

Yeah, I totally blew that one. Groundspeak does indeed get involved in these sort of manners with zany sock puppets, and will lock the account, and delete the logs. They won't delete the account though. After all, there are now 6,000,000 Geocachers, as the newly designed main page tells us. :ph34r:

Sure looks like a difficult place to access on a purely DIY trip. I've been looking at rough surface routings and think it would be possible, but fly in looks like a better deal overall. Overland at the right time of year might work too (skis etc.). Can't wait to watch that one unfold.

Doug 7rxc

Thought this thread was dead after 6 posts on one day, didn't you? Nope, drama alert! SBA posted on the cache yesterday. By the way, if Stormgren-X is still around, how on earth do you plan on getting there? I'll assume having your canoe and gear flown to a certain access point?

Thought this thread was dead after 6 posts on one day, didn't you? Nope, drama alert! SBA posted on the cache yesterday.

And we learn the perils of posting on the forums about such caches...

the very likely event that a "virtual" Needs Archived log gets posted by someone who hasn't attempted the find, or has even been anywhere close to the location.

Seems someone has a chip on their shoulder. Someone not unknown to creating drama elsewhere.

:rolleyes:

B.