Using Iphone 5

Maryanne45

Are you using the Groundspeak App?

If yes.... the App will not automatically update as you drive. For the most part, you have to go to the main page and hit 'Find Nearbye' to update to your position (and caches around you).

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are asking??

Are you using the Groundspeak App?

If yes.... the App will not automatically update as you drive. For the most part, you have to go to the main page and hit 'Find Nearbye' to update to your position (and caches around you).

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are asking??

While driving in one direction, let's say south, phone shows me all the cache's that are north. East shows me west. What do I have to do to get it to show me the cache's in the direction I'm traveling.

Also, if you haven't already noticed, there's a button to orient the map. In any map view, whether it's after you click "Find Nearby Geocaches" or "Navigate To Geocache" on a cache page, there are 2 buttons in the upper left corner of the map view. The top (an arrow) centers your screen on either your location, only the Geocaches shown, or everything. The bottom button (either a square or a circle) orients the map. If you see the square, your map is locked with north at the top. If you change it to the circle, your map will orient itself to the direction you're facing.

As for caching with an iPhone, my family & I have been caching for 3 years now and have only ever used iPhones. First with my iPhone 4...now I have the 5, the Mrs. has a 4S, and I let our son use my old 4. The old 4 is no longer activated on a cellular network, so it takes longer for the GPS alone to settle down, but it works. So far I've never had a desire to buy a handheld GPS unit, the iPhone has always gotten the job done. We've cached in urban, rural, wooded, mountains, etc. and it hasn't failed us yet. Sure, sometimes it's not as accurate, but that's never stopped us. I wouldn't want to be placed right on top of the cache every single time, the hunt is what makes it fun.

In regards to posting, if you'd like to quote another user, simply click "Reply" under their post. Then type your comment under theirs (make sure yours starts AFTER the /quote tag). If you'd just like to comment without quoting someone, click the "Add Reply" button at the top or bottom of the thread, or click within the Fast Reply box at the very bottom. Hope that helps. Happy hunting!

I love my Iphone for caching. Right on most of the time but has me going in circles at othertimes. The only bad thing is that it I have the lowest usage on the phone and it eats it up fast.

Bingo!

You've already experienced the very reasons why you should get a handheld GPS.

Once you go handheld, you'll never go back to the phone. :anitongue: