feild notes from garmin to web site

stiltz49

I am back with a new question about the feild notes and downloading them. I know how to browse and find the right file and unload but none appear. I can go into the garmin folder on the gps and open the txt file and they are there. I tried on 2 different computers so I don't think is a setup issue. Another thing is it has work in the passed. But it onlyu showed 3 out of 6. This time none. Help maybe? Thanks in advance.

Stiltz49

i had a similar problem a few weeks ago. It seems there was some problem with the caches as they were loaded into my GPSr originally. I don't know what would have happened, I didn't load them myself. I was at an event and someone there loaded them for me. I think I edited the text file and fixed something, maybe spacing?, and then the field notes would upload.

I use a Garmin Oregon 450t.

When you look in the geocache_visits.txt file, what do you see at the start of each line? The first item MUST be a GC code. Here's an example from mine:

GC2THJJ,2011-04-22T15:43Z,Found it,""

There's some software that will load caches into your GPS using something other than the GC code here, which is often why the field notes don't work.

Yes, I deleted all history visits when I was done last time. Yes, I tried turning of the date limit check box. NO, I do not see a GC ****** first this is what I see .. The Quar,2013-07-16T02:14Z,Found it ... in the file in the GPS. I guess I will need to try a different way of loading them in the GPS. What I do now is click on the GPX file and down load it and save a group of caches in an area and save them under the area name using EasyGPS and then send them to the GPS. I hope this makes sense all works except for comments being able to upload for logging.

Stiltz49

After some testing I tried the [send to my GPS] on the cache page and now I get the GC***** as stated earlier. I guess I will have to upload them differntly. Maybe someone has a better idea No do not want to use PQ at this time sorry. Thanks

Stilta49

Wonder if EasyGPS is re-nameing the caches?

(Long time since I used it, but seem to remember it would show names OR GCcode...)

Yep, EasyGPS is loading the caches in with part of the name in the GC code field, rather than using the GC code there. You can change that setting in EasyGPS as follows:

-Edit > Preferences...

-On the "My GPS Receivers" tab, click the "Geocaching..." button

-Make sure "Waypoint" is set to "Geocache ID", not "Geocache Name"