I wish....

etphoneme2plz

I have a bookmark list of my DNFs. This method stones two kills with one bird -- by enabling notifications on the list I will see later if/when someone else logs it.

If I go back and manage to find it, I delete it from the list.

Edit to add: GSAK is an excellent offline cache management tool

http://gsak.net

Edited by frinklabs

I have a bookmark list of my DNFs. This method stones two kills with one bird -- by enabling notifications on the list I will see later if/when someone else logs it.

So, if I use this, when I hook up my gps to my computer and go to the site it will download my stuff to the data base? Sorry, Im not too computer smart. lol

Also.. Do you think this would be easier than making a bookmark list??

Edited by etphoneme2plz

So, if I use this, when I hook up my gps to my computer and go to the site it will download my stuff to the data base? Sorry, Im not too computer smart. lol

I think the bookmark list is easiest, from a path-of-least-resistance point of view. GSAK does so much that it is almost overkill for this specific task.

But you can do stuff with GSAK like convert the bookmark list to a Pocket Query then import that file into GSAK and display your DNFs on a map.

If I go back and find it isn't it a find now and no longer a DNF???

The fact that it is a find now does not change that it was a DNF before.

You can't change the past.

Plus a quantity of DNF-to-finds can be used to fulfill requirements of a challenge cache.

Interesting cache!!! Too bad it's so far away from me! Like 1000's of miles, bet I'm getting close to 25 DNF's to :D !!!

I think the bookmark list is easiest, from a path-of-least-resistance point of view. GSAK does so much that it is almost overkill for this specific task.

But you can do stuff with GSAK like convert the bookmark list to a Pocket Query then import that file into GSAK and display your DNFs on a map.

I may just go with the bookmark thing for now BUT it looks like you can do ALOT with that GSAK. So much it's kinda intimidating for me! lol

TY for the help frinklabs!! It is greatly appreciated!!!! :D

I may just go with the bookmark thing for now BUT it looks like you can do ALOT with that GSAK. So much it's kinda intimidating for me! lol

Don't try to swallow the elephant in one bite. Take small nibbles and won't be long before your quite accomplished.

Don't try to swallow the elephant in one bite. Take small nibbles and won't be long before your quite accomplished.

LOL, I downloaded it and will start playing with it to see what I like, dislike, use, don't use, etc.... Small bites!!! :D

I hide a tricky cache. 20 people look for it and half of them DNF it at least once. All of them DNFs eventually go back to look again and eventually Find it. Should this cache have 20 Finds, or 20 Finds and 10-15 DNFs? Under your logic, it would have no DNFs even though it is not found half the time that people search for it.

Many cachers find it very frustrating and disheartening when they can't find a cache that has zero DNFs.

i'm from the camp that logs all my dnf's, explaining on my log why i couldn't, as sometimes it's just my eyes that can't find it, instead of the CO wondering if it indeed got muggled... wear my dnf's proudly, like a geo badge of honor, an important part of my geo-education/experience...

geocaching ROCKS and is very seldom dull...Life is still an adventure...

B)

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a list called something like "Caches I've tried but never found".

The idea wouldn't be to delete DNF logs once a cache has been found - the idea (which is my understanding of the OP) is to be able to see a list of caches that I have attempted once or more but have yet to actually find. So if I look for a cache and DNF it five times before finding it, my profile will show five DNF logs, the cache will show five DNFs from me and then a find, and my list of "caches I've hunted but never found" will gain a new entry after the first DNF and lose that entry as soon as I find it.

From my profile page under the "caches I didn't find" it should still show on the basis I logged a DNF therefore it's a cache I failed to find at least once. But perhaps another list that would only include the DNFs I didn't subsequently manage to find would be a nice thing to have.

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a list called something like "Caches I've tried but never found".

The idea wouldn't be to delete DNF logs once a cache has been found - the idea (which is my understanding of the OP) is to be able to see a list of caches that I have attempted once or more but have yet to actually find. So if I look for a cache and DNF it five times before finding it, my profile will show five DNF logs, the cache will show five DNFs from me and then a find, and my list of "caches I've hunted but never found" will gain a new entry after the first DNF and lose that entry as soon as I find it.

From my profile page under the "caches I didn't find" it should still show on the basis I logged a DNF therefore it's a cache I failed to find at least once. But perhaps another list that would only include the DNFs I didn't subsequently manage to find would be a nice thing to have.

That was it basically. I have no problem logging my DNF's at all, might have missed a few BUT not on purpose!! I just wanted to be able to see a list of DNF's (that I haven't already gone back and found) so I don't have to sort through the list of DNF's to figure out which I have found vs which I still have not found! NOW I have my own bookmark list and they are all sorted out!!! And someone introduced me to GSAK! Which I will slowly be learning how to use as well!!! :D

I hide a tricky cache. 20 people look for it and half of them DNF it at least once. All of them DNFs eventually go back to look again and eventually Find it. Should this cache have 20 Finds, or 20 Finds and 10-15 DNFs? Under your logic, it would have no DNFs even though it is not found half the time that people search for it.

Many cachers find it very frustrating and disheartening when they can't find a cache that has zero DNFs.

That wasn't exactly what I meant. I didn't mean for the DNF's to be gone from the caches... More like a list of one's I DNF'd before and still haven't found VS a plain DNF list that includes every DNF I ever had. I have no problem with the DNF's but a list of one's I still haven't found would be nice.... SO I took one of the other poster replies and made my own bookmark for them!!! :D

BTW should have 20 finds and 10-15 DNF's... :D

This is what I'm trying to find. I want a list of my personal DNFs so I can go back and try to find them. I don't want my DNF to disappear once I've found it, it should just disappear off of my personal DNF list once I've found it. I feel like it should be somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

9 hours ago, Keystone said:

Unfortunately this is apparently neither the answer the old OP nor the new poster is looking for.

I don't think there is an easy way to get a list of "Caches I DNFd in the past and haven't found afterwards so I might be able to log a find on them"

Without third-party tools like GSAK I think the "Bookmark/List Method" is the best way to go (for Premium Members)