Want to do something unique for my TBs!

iTiamo

Hey guys,

I have ordered some Travel Bugs online and I finally received them. 1A7S9dR.jpg

The problem is, though, I have no idea what to do with them other than the generic TB you see all the time. (not a bad thing!)

So, do you guys know any cool stuff to attach, or unique goals to reach?

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I have ordered some Travel Bugs online and I finally received them.

<snip photo>

The problem is, though, I have no idea what to do with them other than the generic TB you see all the time. (not a bad thing!)

Thank you!

That depends on what you perceive as a "generic" TB.

If you get too cute with it, it happens that those disappear more readily than do others. Sometimes, it shows up at another cache with a different traveler (as in replaced). Not saying that this happens a lot, it doesn't really, but it does happen from time to time.

There is also the scenario where a youngster takes a hankerin' to the traveler, and the parents don't have the "kahunas" to say NO (that happening seems to be fairly prevalent).

The long and short of it: Don't make it real cute or pretty and don't make it too large (sometimes it is difficult to find a cache big enough to hold large ones). Which means they languish about a cacher's vehicle, bag or desk drawer at home only to be forgotten.

One small piece of advice -- don't use that godawful beaded chain to hold the traveler to the tag. Use a large split-ring or (our favorite) use a short piece of cable (garage door cable), with the ends sealed together with a crush-able ferrule. We always include a mission statement with it. Such is printable right from the TB page (you can size it accordingly before printing. Then have it heat laminated on BOTH sides. Simply punch a hole through the laminate and lace the cable or split-ring through.

Garage door cable and ferrule:

bcf40bcc-82d5-4573-944a-e816e3394ade.jpg

Don't be in a rush to get 'em all out there. Send a few and let them get going on their way. Once they are out of the "area", then release the others one or two at a time. It keeps you thinking about what to use as travelers and it also allows you to get the idea about how fast -- or slow -- they are going to move.

Above all else: NEVER release a traveler into the wild that has a special (emotional) connection to you or a loved one. It is a recipe for disaster.

Hey guys,

I have ordered some Travel Bugs online and I finally received them.

<snip photo>

Thank you!

That depends on what you perceive as a "generic" TB.

If you get too cute with it, it happens that those disappear more readily than do others. Sometimes, it shows up at another cache with a different traveler (as in replaced). Not saying that this happens a lot, it doesn't really, but it does happen from time to time.

There is also the scenario where a youngster takes a hankerin' to the traveler, and the parents don't have the "kahunas" to say NO (that happening seems to be fairly prevalent).

The long and short of it: Don't make it real cute or pretty and don't make it too large (sometimes it is difficult to find a cache big enough to hold large ones). Which means they languish about a cacher's vehicle, bag or desk drawer at home only to be forgotten.

One small piece of advice -- don't use that godawful beaded chain to hold the traveler to the tag. Use a large split-ring or (our favorite) use a short piece of cable (garage door cable), with the ends sealed together with a crush-able ferrule. We always include a mission statement with it. Such is printable right from the TB page (you can size it accordingly before printing. Then have it heat laminated on BOTH sides. Simply punch a hole through the laminate and lace the cable or split-ring through.

Garage door cable and ferrule:

bcf40bcc-82d5-4573-944a-e816e3394ade.jpg

Don't be in a rush to get 'em all out there. Send a few and let them get going on their way. Once they are out of the "area", then release the others one or two at a time. It keeps you thinking about what to use as travelers and it also allows you to get the idea about how fast -- or slow -- they are going to move.

Above all else: NEVER release a traveler into the wild that has a special (emotional) connection to you or a loved one. It is a recipe for disaster.

LOVE the TB in ur picture!! Its soooo CUTE!!!! And a really good idea!!! :D

When you have several bugs to send out, a "race" is always fun. Here's a link to a couple of races we've done, one from a couple of years ago: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3465909 (two of four still going strong), and one from a race we just started with our most recent vacation: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3748029

With a race, you can set the goals to whatever you like: visit the most states / countries, rack up the most miles, etc. Link to the other racers on everyone's page so that people can check on the progress of the racers. I saw a really fun one where each member of the family had dropped off a tag in their honor while on vacation, and the goal was for the tags to race to see which would make it back to their hometown first.

When you have several to drop off, drop them in various places, so that it would be unlikely the same cacher could pick them all up in one trip: less of a chance that a newbie who never caches again will grab them all.

Be sure to read the Longevity thread about tips to help your bug last longer. The hitchhiker shouldn't be *too* cute but should be interesting enough. The cable really is better than the beaded keychain (which we have used after filling the latch with gorilla glue, it still, the cable is better). Totally echo the sentiment of others who've said you can't get too attached to these things or send out something with significant emotional baggage attached to it; that way lies heartbreak, because they will inevitably disappear. Better to get a LOT of them out there and just enjoy the ones that do travel! (On the other hand, my very first traveler, a Geocoin and not just a proxy but the actual coin) is still moving along despite months and once a year at a time of inaction. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2679029&page=1 )

Have fun and enjoy your bugs' travels!

--Q

I recently repurposed my two TBs (the copy tags) because both of the originals were stolen before they were ever logged.

On one, I created a "parasite"...it's goal being to ride along with a "host" TB, switching hosts whenever another one becomes available.

http://coord.info/TB551P3

On the other, I gave it a fairly conventional goal. My daughter is into Paris, her goal being to visit the Eiffel Tower...so I took one of her old toys and gave a goal of getting to the Eiffel Tower. Beyond that it's up to the geocachers to move her wherever they like.

http://coord.info/TB54XW1

I'm crossing my fingers that these don't also get stolen...

Edited by J Grouchy