Rules & Regs

NoBigDipper

Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely.

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

Ok..been kicking around caching for a little over 2 months. Recently I have found TWO caches buried. One had a bunch of favorite points ! These are not new caches and the CO's have numerous other caches. Also, I thought I had read somewhere that originally there was an agreement made NOT TO BURY. I'm struggling with the obvious. My guess is the CO's already know....any suggestions ???

Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely.

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

Ok..been kicking around caching for a little over 2 months. Recently I have found TWO caches buried. One had a bunch of favorite points ! These are not new caches and the CO's have numerous other caches. Also, I thought I had read somewhere that originally there was an agreement made NOT TO BURY. I'm struggling with the obvious. My guess is the CO's already know....any suggestions ???

If the cache description doesn't specifically mention how the cache was hidden, the reviewer who published the cache has no way of knowing that the cache owner has buried it unless someone reports it (either by posting a "Needs Archived" log or notifying the reviewer directly). Reviewers don't personally visit every cache hide, and they're not psychic (most of them aren't, anyway).

Personally, if I ran across a cache that was buried (assuming it wasn't grandfathered years ago), I would report it. As Semper Questio pointed out, it's your call to make. Do you do the right thing and report it, or take the smiley and move on?

--Larry

Depending on how old they are, they may be grandfathered. Years ago I think they were a little less strict with the definition of "buried"...heck, the very first ever Geocache was a buried bucket.

Also, there's still some room for interpretation here. If a hole was created in undisturbed earth, using any kind of tool (or even hands in the case of loose dirt or sand), it would be considered buried by the current guidelines. However, if the cache is hidden in a naturally occurring hole or depression, or "buried" (i.e., concealed) with a pile of loose rocks, sticks, grass, leaves, etc., that would not be considered buried.

Then there's the gray area of objects like fake sprinkler heads, faucets, signs, and other utility fixtures that are just pushed into the dirt, but the majority of the cache remans visible above ground. Technically the ground is broken in these cases....some would argue that this violates the "other pointy object" provision of the guideline, others would say that this does no harm and no one has to dig with a shovel to reveal the cache, so it's OK. I've found many of this type of hide so apparently they usually get approved. I've never found one where the whole container was buried.

Edited by Chief301

I personally try to stick to the spirit of the rule. I'm assuming the rule was put in place to avoid people digging up nature reserves or messing up carefully placed bricks, signs and street-works.

So, if I suspect a cache is old and possibly grandfathered, I leave it alone, but I also don't bother with people who dig a whole in their own front yard. The latter might fall under the guideline, but I feel people who hide in their own front yard are the land manager and can do whatever they please as long as it doesn't put the geocacher in danger.

I personally try to stick to the spirit of the rule. I'm assuming the rule was put in place to avoid people digging up nature reserves or messing up carefully placed bricks, signs and street-works.

So, if I suspect a cache is old and possibly grandfathered, I leave it alone, but I also don't bother with people who dig a whole in their own front yard. The latter might fall under the guideline, but I feel people who hide in their own front yard are the land manager and can do whatever they please as long as it doesn't put the geocacher in danger.

I understand your viewpoint, that if it's on someone's own property it shouldn't matter. But you need to consider the bigger picture. We have brand new cachers out there, many of whom discovered Geocaching through a smartphone app and may have never visited the website or created an account. They haven't read the forums or the guidelines. All they know about Geocaching is the few caches they have found. If they find a cache that is buried, they think that's an acceptable way to hide caches. If they decide to start hiding caches, they may do the same thing.

I know everyone is supposed to read the guidelines before hiding a cache, but let's face it, a lot of people just check the box...witness the number of new hiders who come on the forums with questions about why their cache was denied by a reviewer, when it's clear that if they'd read the guidelines they'd already know the answer.

I understand your viewpoint, that if it's on someone's own property it shouldn't matter. But you need to consider the bigger picture. We have brand new cachers out there, many of whom discovered Geocaching through a smartphone app and may have never visited the website or created an account. They haven't read the forums or the guidelines. All they know about Geocaching is the few caches they have found. If they find a cache that is buried, they think that's an acceptable way to hide caches. If they decide to start hiding caches, they may do the same thing.

I know everyone is supposed to read the guidelines before hiding a cache, but let's face it, a lot of people just check the box...witness the number of new hiders who come on the forums with questions about why their cache was denied by a reviewer, when it's clear that if they'd read the guidelines they'd already know the answer.

They do? I am shocked.

Well maybe not, but I do agree with you. Plus the muggles's view on geocaching as well. I mean think if you where the one who had to decide a parks rules on geocaches. You see people digging up their own yards to bury a cache, what are they going to do on property that they don't have to take care of? And even if they neatly bury a cache most parks don't want that either.