I've done the unforgivable!

Last week I went on a caching holiday to Dorset/Wiltshire which is an excellent area for caching. However at one cache I picked up a TB, just a dogtag with nothing attached, hoping to place it in Suffolk. However I have lost it! It must have fallen out of my rucksack. What is the best way to make this up to the owner who has not yet been informed? I am happy to buy a new TB, but could it continue on the same mission?

Don't worry about it

Drop the owner an email if you like then they can then release the copy

We've lost trackables in the past and most of ours have been 'lost'

I don't lose any sleep over it that's for sure :)

Alternatively just deny all knowledge :P

M

Last week I went on a caching holiday to Dorset/Wiltshire which is an excellent area for caching. However at one cache I picked up a TB, just a dogtag with nothing attached, hoping to place it in Suffolk. However I have lost it! It must have fallen out of my rucksack. What is the best way to make this up to the owner who has not yet been informed? I am happy to buy a new TB, but could it continue on the same mission?

Travel bugs going missing is just one of those things.

If you've lost it drop the owner a note to let the know, offer to replace it if you like, or just let them know it's gone. If it was just the tag you could let them know you found the tag with nothing attached and now can't even find the tag any more. They can figure what to do, they may ask you to fund a new one (it's still your decision whether you do or not) or just regard it as missing.

If you want the TB to pick up where the old one left off you could print and laminate a bug image with the tracking code underneath it, in which case it won't obviously be a TB but anyone finding it will be able to move it on if they so choose and the trackable page won't indicate any breaks in travel.

I think every single one of my TBs I bought and released went missing, most within a depressingly short time.