moving to arizona

My family is moving to Arizona and i am wondering what it is really like from the geocachers point-of-view. i have heard the negative and the positive. but i want to know everything i can so if anyone is willing to help out i would be greatly happy to know if it would be a great choice to move there from michigan or if i should just stay where i am at because this is a big choice for me and my daughters along with the family that wants me to go. i would like to know :

1 how is the living there

2 jobs

3 schools

4 good location

5 people rude or opened minded?

6 anything i may need to know

thank you so much for your time and info... Angela 'n' the dragon crew...:)

My family is moving to Arizona and i am wondering what it is really like from the geocachers point-of-view. i have heard the negative and the positive. but i want to know everything i can so if anyone is willing to help out i would be greatly happy to know if it would be a great choice to move there from michigan or if i should just stay where i am at because this is a big choice for me and my daughters along with the family that wants me to go. i would like to know :

2 jobs

3 schools

4 good location

I hear that it's hot....but that it's a dry heat.

Like most places, I don't think that can generalize answers to most of those questions. Tucson, Phoenix, and Flagstaff are all quite different. I'm surprised that you didn't ask about the climate as that will likely be the biggest change from Michigan.

I have never been, but a local couple Lives there October to March or April. They do have the a MEGA event put one every year, and I've heard the caching is great. Also heard if you are caching near the boarder that it's not unusual for Boarder Patrol to approach you, and ask what you are doing, or if you've seen anything suspicious. Good news is that they mostly seem to know about geocaching and will leave you alone.

2 jobs

3 schools

4 good location

There is at least one Arizona cacher that frequents this forum, but you might look at the area where you are thinking about moving and contact cachers who are local to there. I have known people who have lived in Tucson, Prescott, and Flagstaff and there are some amazing places in the state (not to mention Scottsdale during spring training). There are incredible red rock canyons, historical locations, ancient ruins, the Grand Canyon, and more. But I would not want to run afoul of Sheriff Joe or be viewed with suspicion on account of ethnic background. So like everywhere, it probably depends on what you like, the kind of jobs you are looking at, the particular schools, where you are living, and who you are.

Edited by geodarts

For caching, it's great with the exception of 1 person who likes to create drama. Ignore him though, caching here is great.

As others have said, different areas of the state are very different...

Jobs - it depends on your field.

Living here - it depends on what you're into. Yes, we have some hot months (4). The rest of the year is wonderful. I don't know what other things you like to do so it's hard to really comment.

Schools - on average, not a high point for the state. There are some great schools but in general schools here are underfunded. We have a lot of "snow birds". People who leave here during the hot summer. They tend to be retirees w/o school age kids. You'll find that most funding measures get voted down. It's short sited, but it's true.

Good location - depends on how you define good. :)

People rude or open minded. In general, it's a more polite environment than the NE (yes, I'm over-generalizing). This is a very libertarian state. Some people will view that as open minded. Some people will view that as not. It's a very gun happy state, that may be a positive or a negative for you.

--Redfist

Flagstaff area is about 6 to 7000 ft el. snow in the winter beautiful in the summer, Kingman about 3500 el and growing fairly fast some snow but not a lot (usually) summer temps 90s to low 100s, Phoenix nice in the winter hot in the summer same for Tucson, Yuma is a snowbirds paradise in the fall and winter to early spring, hotter then hell in the summer.

We've cached a lot in the Yuma area and there are some beautiful views out in the desert.

Hope this helps

Flagstaff area is about 6 to 7000 ft el. snow in the winter beautiful in the summer, Kingman about 3500 el and growing fairly fast some snow but not a lot (usually) summer temps 90s to low 100s, Phoenix nice in the winter hot in the summer same for Tucson, Yuma is a snowbirds paradise in the fall and winter to early spring, hotter then hell in the summer.

We've cached a lot in the Yuma area and there are some beautiful views out in the desert.

Hope this helps

thank you helpful

Edited by Angelanthedragoncrew

For caching, it's great with the exception of 1 person who likes to create drama. Ignore him though, caching here is great.

As others have said, different areas of the state are very different...

Jobs - it depends on your field.

Living here - it depends on what you're into. Yes, we have some hot months (4). The rest of the year is wonderful. I don't know what other things you like to do so it's hard to really comment.

Schools - on average, not a high point for the state. There are some great schools but in general schools here are underfunded. We have a lot of "snow birds". People who leave here during the hot summer. They tend to be retirees w/o school age kids. You'll find that most funding measures get voted down. It's short sited, but it's true.

Good location - depends on how you define good. :)

People rude or open minded. In general, it's a more polite environment than the NE (yes, I'm over-generalizing). This is a very libertarian state. Some people will view that as open minded. Some people will view that as not. It's a very gun happy state, that may be a positive or a negative for you.

--Redfist

thank you very helpful

I lived in Tucson years and years ago. We moved down from Ontario, Canada (same climate as Michigan). We travelled to the Grand Canyon several times so I got to see Sedona, and Flagstaff along the way. The thing I remember most about the state - it's surreal. The landscape is nothing like what we have up north. The wildlife and plants are so unique. The landscape of saguaro, prickly pear and cholla is amazing. Living among lizards, snakes, hawks, roadrunners, and huge desert insects was absolutely amazing to me. A very hot, tough natural environment. The rugged mountains were majestic. In 40 minutes you could drive from the base to the peak and experience several landscape/climate changes - going from a warm winter day at the base to a chilly snowy day at the peak. Roadrunners and partridge at the base and squirrels and bears at the peak. My favourite Arizona town was Sedona. If I could, I would retire there. The landscape is gorgeous, the town is attractive and the temperatures are milder then Tucson. Well, I hope your move goes well. Enjoy the unique natural environment.

Edited by L0ne R

This would be a great subject for our Off Topic forum. Unfortunately, since the OP isn't a premium member, moving the thread to the correct area isn't an effective option. Moving instead to West and Southwest forum, and closing since the discussion isn't geocaching related.