Log Find

jasmen04

Well I created a PG and got it in the GPS and then went caching. Found and logged them found on the GPS now Im back at home. I found the found log files on the GPS but how do i get them to my Geo caching

account on Geo caching.com . Thanks for all the help

Ronnie

You'll need to upload the field notes file using this page.

So my Logged Finds are actually my field notes?

They are... assuming that you had marked them appropriately (Found, Not Found, Note, etc.) as such in your GPSr unit.

That data will upload to geocaching.com. There, you have the opportunity to log (with a single click) or even edit your notes into a full-blown log and submit.

That is half of the "paperless" revolution. Download to GPSr - upload to GC.com, no paper involved.

Easy-peasy. :)

This is just a suggestion, but why not just go home, visit each cache page, and write about your experiences there? I've never understood why people are insistent on being able to just upload their finds to the site from their GPS. Unless you're hitting a power trail and have 50 finds to log or that day. I don't find it's that much trouble to retrace my route on the online map and go cache by cache and write up my logs. It's not hard to remember which ones I did, and in which order. I surely don't want to sit out in the field and type lengthy logs on my Garmin. I suppose most people dont either, which is why we get so many "TFTC" logs these days.

I surely don't want to sit out in the field and type lengthy logs on my Garmin.

I doubt there's anyone that types out their entire log on their Garmin. Most people use field notes so they have a handy list of all the caches they need to log when they get home. You can add a brief note if there's something you want to make sure you remember about a particular cache, like if you dropped a TB, but that's about all I ever write in my field notes. When I get home, I upload my field notes, and then go through them one by one typing up my full logs, confident that I'm not missing any and I'm logging them in the order I visited them.

Chief is right... sort of, but then, A-Team certainly ain't wrong, either.

GPSr units are not conducive to easy "typing". Perhaps the best use is simply a couple of little notations to remember exactly which cache you did where/how/when, the date is (usually) covered by the unit itself -- and, there is no mistaking caches by name or number when using field notes on-scene.

I have noticed that when tourists swoop through, they hit as many caches as they can. The logs quite often show that they have the caches all mixed up when they log online at the end of the day (or week). Probably a phenomenon not noticed so much outside of a "touristy" areas. Field notes all but eliminate those types of mistakes.

We use a type of shorthand, if you will. No spaces, no grammar, no spelling etiquette, no punctuation, eliminating all the minor words. After the upload, we just edit that data into a full log and [submit] it. But then, we abhor TFTC logs -- aside from those caches that... shall we say... deserve such.

Perhaps it is simply a matter of getting used to using field notes. :o

I have just started using Field Notes on the Garmin, but only for the ones that are special in some way. Use the Garmin to add short/brief notes to help this old guy remember one cache from another. Upload notes and I have a record (as has been previously stated) of the order of caches visited and some notes to help with writing the actual logs. The notes are not easy to write on the GPS, so shorthand is a must. :yikes:

I use a Garmin for most of my searching, but I use a caching app on a smart phone to generate field notes. I tap the microphone button on the keyboard and dictate a couple shorthand notes. It actually does a pretty good job, but sometimes generates some gobblety-gook in my field notes. Its close enough to decipher later when I get home in front of the computer and a real keyboard.