Can't download GPX file from Unpublished cache

Yomeno

Hi,

It seems to be impossible to download a GPX file from the cache page if this cache isn't published yet.

Click on the button give me a white page and no GPX.

I think it's not normal, because get the GPX file to a GPS device is not a problem (but very long when there is a lot of caches) and GPX files on the GPS device haven't a name like the GCcode (so it's not easy to find the good one or to know if I forgot one).

I need this GPX to put it on my geocaching software (iCaching, because I'm on MacOS, but it's like GSAK).

No way to do a PQ too, because it's working with published caches only.

(I'm Prenium member)

So the bug I think there is :

- The "GPX File" button on a cache page doesn't work properly (doesn't work on unpublished cache)

- The GPX file downloaded on a GPS device (Magellan GC eXplorist) have a strange name (I'm not sure it's a bug). Anyway, I think it should be great to improve that function to get the GCcode on the name.

- The PQ system and/or Search system should be improve too. In example with PQ by owner or by cache name. But it's an other topic ;)

Regards,

Yomeno.

There are reasons that unpublished (and archived) caches are not available to download GPX files regarding same.

GPX files are available for archived caches. I download them all the time. In fact, while doing some research for something else just a few minutes ago, I downloaded half a dozen GPX files for archived caches.

There are reasons that unpublished (and archived) caches are not available to download GPX files regarding same.

Technically, as a cache -- on geocaching.com, they do not exist!

If it doesn't exist, how can someone claim a FTF on it then? Please don't answer that as it would be good for 150 post thread elsewhere.

I have never heard a good reason from Groundspeak as to why you can't download the GPX file and I can't think of any myself. This is one of those many Groundspeak things where 99.99% of the users think, "it should work this way", yet it doesn't and probably never will.

Hi,

It seems to be impossible to download a GPX file from the cache page if this cache isn't published yet.

Click on the button give me a white page and no GPX.

I think it's not normal, because get the GPX file to a GPS device is not a problem (but very long when there is a lot of caches) and GPX files on the GPS device haven't a name like the GCcode (so it's not easy to find the good one or to know if I forgot one).

I need this GPX to put it on my geocaching software (iCaching, because I'm on MacOS, but it's like GSAK).

No way to do a PQ too, because it's working with published caches only.

(I'm Prenium member)

So the bug I think there is :

- The "GPX File" button on a cache page doesn't work properly (doesn't work on unpublished cache)

- The GPX file downloaded on a GPS device (Magellan GC eXplorist) have a strange name (I'm not sure it's a bug). Anyway, I think it should be great to improve that function to get the GCcode on the name.

- The PQ system and/or Search system should be improve too. In example with PQ by owner or by cache name. But it's an other topic ;)

Regards,

Yomeno.

The GPX button is broken. It's supposed to give you a message that you can't download it until it's published. Why you can't is a different discussion.

I'm not sure if "Send to GPS" was just broken or just fixed, but it's not doing what it used to do. It's now giving a 500 Server Error when I try it on an unpublished cache.

Technically, as a cache -- on geocaching.com, they do not exist!

If it doesn't exist, how can someone claim a FTF on it then? Please don't answer that as it would be good for 150 post thread elsewhere.

I have never heard a good reason from Groundspeak as to why you can't download the GPX file and I can't think of any myself. This is one of those many Groundspeak things where 99.99% of the users think, "it should work this way", yet it doesn't and probably never will.

I'll give you one possible reason to not allow download of a GPX file for an unpublished cache. You decide if it is a good reason.

It would be used to hide PRIVATE CACHES that are never intended to be published, but could easily be made available by the page creator to load GPS units ONLY for their target audience. Would that be a bad thing? You decide. I would probably use it for temp caches placed solely for muggle training classes.

It would be used to hide PRIVATE CACHES that are never intended to be published, but could easily be made available by the page creator to load GPS units ONLY for their target audience.

That can already be done using anything from GSAK to a simple text editor. I'm sure a few people would use it this way, but I don't think it would be a problem. There are loads of private/unlisted or just abandoned caches out there already. If they aren't published, is it really a problem? They'll never show up in the stats, won't affect proximity, etc.

It would be used to hide PRIVATE CACHES that are never intended to be published, but could easily be made available by the page creator to load GPS units ONLY for their target audience. Would that be a bad thing? You decide. I would probably use it for temp caches placed solely for muggle training classes.

If the cache isn't published, the "audience" can't log it, so I don't think it's a problem.

In my case, I prepare an event with some new caches. These caches will be published on the D-Day, but I want to easily prepare a GPX before, with all new caches, and give it to the participants.

Why ? because the phone network connexion isn't very great in the event area and people shouldn't have a computer with them… Moreover, everybody don't have a smartphone…

What is strange is why the "GPX file" button doesn't work and in the same time the "Send to GPS" button works. The first one should be working… :huh:

How can you even see an unpublished cache, or are you the owner? Only the owner or a reviewer can view the listing.

I just tried downloading a GPX of my own unpublished cache, and you're right. I just get a white page. I'd think if it's simply not allowed, I'd get a message to that effect. I downloaded a LOC file, and it downloaded, but GSAK couldn't import it.

I downloaded a LOC file, and it downloaded, but GSAK couldn't import it.

I just compared one such LOC file to one from a published cache, and there are some critical XML tags that are missing or half-missing. Also, the coordinates are set to zeroes and the name used is "Thanks for Playing" by "Nice Try". I wonder if there is or was a way to game the system to somehow retrieve a LOC file for an unpublished cache, and this is what the developers give you in such a case. If so, then there must be a better way to deal with it than screwing up something that COs might want to legitimately use.

How can you even see an unpublished cache, or are you the owner? Only the owner or a reviewer can view the listing.

You're right, of course I'm the owner ;)

In another case, my question would have an answer : Impossible :D

Well, I'm not sure whether it is by design. If it was we would get a message like "not possible to download GPX file of an unpublished cache" instead of getting blank page. Or much likely the "GPX file" button would not be there at all.

This is something that needs to be fixed. Today I would appreciate the possibility to download a GPX file of my new unpublished multi as I want to send the listing to a betatester. I'm going to send him PDF instead and he'll have to input stages coordinates into his GPS manually.

I have in the past been able to download my unpublished cache to my GPS. This was very helpful in going out and checking the co-ordinates as I had on one occassion typo'd one of the numbers and this came to light before publication when I went out with the GPS to walk the route and place the containers.

However when I tried it recently I couldn't do it. Not sure why that would be.

So as well as being helpful for the CO to double check the co-ordinates prior to publication it would also be helpful (as has been said above) for those of us who release new caches as part of an event and there are attendees who don't gave a smart phone (I am one) or where reception is poor (for those who do have smart phones).

People have got round this using GSAK, but I don't use it so had to rely on others to help me just to get a map of my geo-poker route for attendees at an event.