Private and temporary cache for camp activity

witzstuff

I'm wanting to set some caches for a camp activity that won't be published. I want to be able to store these and then download them to various GPS's including the androd app. I'm also hoping my campers will be able to place some for other camp groups. When I've searched the forums, I was using the identifier "private cache" and all my hits referred to caches on private property so I'm not sure what the best term is to call this type of cache.

I am a premium member.

Thanks!

Short answer, can't be done.

Groundspeak does not allow Private caches. The only option Groundspeak offers to limit who can see a cache is Premium Member Only but that's still opening it up to a lot of people since any Premium Member can see it. You could always print a document with the coords and a brief write up similar to how Groundspeak works, but the searchers would not be able to download them from Geocaching.com nor log them online since they would not technically be Geocaches.

+1 to Glimmereyes' response. Private, temporary caches can't be created through the site.

I recommend creating "mock" cache pages with all the usual info that you can print out and give to the campers, and then just add the waypoints into the GPS units/smart phones.

+1

Bummer. But thanks for the quick responses. I'll set waypoints then I was just trying to be able to upload them to the GPS units in one big swoop since I will have at least 10.

I'll ask this here but it probably needs its own question also. How do I set wzypoints using the android app and how do I find these waypoints back?

Bummer. But thanks for the quick responses. I'll set waypoints then I was just trying to be able to upload them to the GPS units in one big swoop since I will have at least 10.

I'll ask this here but it probably needs its own question also. How do I set wzypoints using the android app and how do I find these waypoints back?

You can do this with EasyGPS (free) via a computer/laptop. You can set up waypoints then download them to your GPS units.

1c1d196a-df60-4dcb-a584-9720d7e3d56e.jpg

eda43d1c-1f12-4844-ba9d-7f707e349499.jpg

WoW it's amazing how quickly people jump in with a negative response. You never asked to publish them!

Of course you can do it.

Another option to look at is GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) (Assuming you are using Windows). This should allow you to create your own GPX files to download to GPS's and is support by most Android Apps.

I think what Chilly is suggesting is go ahead and create the cache pages for these caches, just don't submit them for publication. So you would be the only one who could see them. I'm not sure if that helps your situation or not, because your folks wouldn't be able to access it and I don't think you could download it directly to GPS. You could at least print out an authentic cache page, though.

I'm not sure how Groundspeak feels, either, about creating cache pages that you have no intent to publish. I'm no computer guru but that's got to eat up a lot of server space. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of cache pages that were created and never published for one reason or another, though.

I think what Chilly is suggesting is go ahead and create the cache pages for these caches, just don't submit them for publication.

Sorry little misunderstanding, my bad. I meant create the cache description using an app' like GSAK.

I don't belive you can download the GPX file until a cache has been published on geocaching.com

I've done this using GSAK. Create a new database, and then under the "waypoint" tab, click "new" and fill in the blanks. You can even put the cache page info, like short description .... long description .. and hint.

Build your database of caches, and load this into whatever you want.

Edited by BC & MsKitty