Garmin etrex 10

Burton's are go!

Ok, being a bit thick here................

Have just bought an etrex 10 (moving up from an etrex so I can download caches straight to it) however - I hit the 'send to GPS' button and the computer tells me helpfully 'Successfully written' yet when I hit the 'geocaches' screen on the unit it tells me none have been found? Huh? If I use the 'where to' screen I can see them on there if I zoom in enough but was kind of hoping there would be a lovely list to work from............where am I going wrong? Did I miss a step somewhere or am I supposed to be using another website (the manual mentions opencaching.com)

Thanks for any help

Hi, I'm a little unsure about the sort of list you are expecting. Is this on the computer (you mention open caching) or the GPS. On the GPS you hit "where to" then geocache, pick the geocache you want to find and then hit "Go" With the Etrex 10 that is it.......... If you want to see a list of all geocaches you have on the unit then on the computer I use Garmin's Basecamp.

Sorry - maybe I was a little vague.

i was expecting a list to choose from on the GPS - if I go on the 'where to' screen and select geocache it tells me I have 'no results' (I have downloaded 2 from geocaching.com and was hoping to see them listed here?) If I select 'waypoints' (where I have entered home) I can see 2 geocache icons on the map which i can scroll to and click 'go' but I was hoping for a list - a bit like on the old etrex where there was a list of waypoints (or cache names) you could scroll through to select (or hit nearest).

i was expecting a list to choose from on the GPS - if I go on the 'where to' screen and select geocache it tells me I have 'no results' (I have downloaded 2 from geocaching.com and was hoping to see them listed here?) If I select 'waypoints' (where I have entered home) I can see 2 geocache icons on the map which i can scroll to and click 'go' but I was hoping for a list - a bit like on the old etrex where there was a list of waypoints (or cache names) you could scroll through to select (or hit nearest).

Let's start with the basics. Are you using a Windows or a Mac computer? When you hook the GPS up to your computer does the computer recognize it? If so, look in the Garmin\GPX directory (folder) and you should find a file GCXXXXX.gpx file for each cache you have loaded via the Send to GPS button. The XXXX is a filler I used, you will see the actual GC code for the caches.

Check that and tell us what you found.

OK, it sounds like what you have done is to get up the list of geocaches near your home using "hide and seek" and on the right of the list it says "send to my gps". This just sends the waypoints, it doesn't send all the other data, cache information etc. What you need to do is to go to the cache page and THEN send to GPS - note this doesn't work for all web browsers.

Alternatively you are a premium member so the easiest way would be to create a pocket query - if you search the forums you will find a wealth of information on how to do this.

I was downloading from the cache page, but I downloaded 2 caches that I have already found (as I wanted to do a test run on something I knew was there!!) I don't know if that makes a difference? I have since looked at 2 caches I haven't found and 'downloaded' the info and it has populated a list on the GPS as I hoped it would!

I will look into pocket queries but at the moment I am just happy to have made it work!

Many thanks for your patience!

I was downloading from the cache page, but I downloaded 2 caches that I have already found (as I wanted to do a test run on something I knew was there!!) I don't know if that makes a difference? I have since looked at 2 caches I haven't found and 'downloaded' the info and it has populated a list on the GPS as I hoped it would!

I will look into pocket queries but at the moment I am just happy to have made it work!

There's the issue. If you've already found them they won't show up in the "Where to?" > "Geocaches" list.

Try it with a couple you haven't found. I bet they'll show up fine.

I wish you had said that to begin with.

There you go! By default, the eTrex only shows unfound caches in the geocache list view. Hit your menu button and select Show Found and the list will show your found caches.

Apologies GeoTrekker26 - it wasn't until I read what whh0 had written about 'hide and seek' lists that I had the eureka moment. Sorry for wasting your time!

Hey, the big thing is that you got it working!! You likely will have more questions with either the GPS or PQs. Don't hesitate to ask, just try to provide as many details as you can. It is sn easy trap to fall into: you know exactly what you are doing and what isn't working. We don't!

Enjoy the eTrex and caching!

I just bought an eTrex 10 and after trying to download coordinates directly to my GPS from this site, I got the error: "your browser isn't supported, click here"... so I clicked there and upgraded my browser to use Garmin Communicator latest version, and yay! then my browser recognized my device... but boo! geocaching.com still gave me the "browser not supported" error. I even closed all windows and programs, turned the computer off and restarted, and STILL "browser not supported" every time I tried to get coordinates using "download to GPS". So then I went to ANOTHER site, opencaching.com, and tried downloading cache coordinates there. NO PROBLEM. In less than a minute I had the coordinates for FIVE different caches. BUT I want to get coordinates for caches from THIS site, too. Can you help?

I also have just bought a Garmin Etrex 10. Downloaded a couple of caches. Deleted these and believe I didn't alter anything else but now can't download any more caches. Hit the download to GPS, computer refreshes screen but doesn't even come up with the download window. Any suggestions??

I also have just bought a Garmin Etrex 10. Downloaded a couple of caches. Deleted these and believe I didn't alter anything else but now can't download any more caches. Hit the download to GPS, computer refreshes screen but doesn't even come up with the download window. Any suggestions??

Groundspeak last week or so made some software changes (updates) and then some browsers that had worked for downloading caches quit working. (See Bug Reports forum). Try changing to another browser. It has solved some problems according to the Bug Reports. It seems that when they fix it to work with one browser another browser begins having problems. Hmmmm! I think they may still be working on it. Haven't checked the Bug Report area in a few days, however.