Travel Bug Cache?

jennformer

I am working on a geocaching patch for my girl scouts, in this we are going to see if we can get a bug to travel to California.

My question is, do I have to start a new cache or can I find a traveling cache somewhere to put my bug in?

I am obviously new to this, but find it to be interesting and since it fits with our outdoor lifestyle anyhow want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

I am working on a geocaching patch for my girl scouts, in this we are going to see if we can get a bug to travel to California.

My question is, do I have to start a new cache or can I find a traveling cache somewhere to put my bug in?

I am obviously new to this, but find it to be interesting and since it fits with our outdoor lifestyle anyhow want to learn as much as I can.

With the exception of a handful of caches created before the rules changed, caches do not travel, they stay where they are placed. You place your Travel Bug in a cache and a following cacher picks it up and moves it to another cache and so on. Hopefully, it gets moved in the direction that you want.

Go to Trackables

With the exception of a handful of caches created before the rules changed, caches do not travel, they stay where they are placed. You place your Travel Bug in a cache and a following cacher picks it up and moves it to another cache and so on. Hopefully, it gets moved in the direction that you want.

Go to Trackables

So ultimately I can put it anywhere I find a cache and hope someone picks it up? I was under the impression that certain caches were specifically for traveling... Still learning.

You don't need to place a new cache as a way to launch a travel bug.

The travel bug is the thing that moves, not the caches.

I would strongly recommend reading the Guidelines before even considering placing a cache. You will find the answer to your question about a "travelling cache".

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

I would also recommend not getting too excited, or getting kids all excited, about travel bugs. Some survive to meet their goal/destination, some don't. Take a bit of time to read the Travel Bug and Geocoin forums.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=9

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=44

B.

As you have a specific goal for your bug, my advice would be to attach a small credit card size laminated paper to your travel bug so anybody finding it knows exactly what the goal is. Also make the object you attach to the tags not too big or it won't find in many caches and not so small that it is likely to get lost in the bottom of someones bag! Good Luck!

So ultimately I can put it anywhere I find a cache and hope someone picks it up? I was under the impression that certain caches were specifically for traveling... Still learning.

Another thing I just thought of is that perhaps you should try to contact a local cacher or group to help you. You don't seem very clear on the concept, being extremely new to this yourself, so I'm thinking a more experienced cacher or group would be of great help to you.

It's hard to teach others when you need help yourself. I don't mean any offence by that, but it does seem that perhaps you're not experienced enough yourself to be teaching others.

B.

I agree with Pup patrol, I see you have no finds yourself, I think if you feel you are just going to go looking for a cache to put your bug in that is going to be easy you and your Girl Scouts may be disappointed. See if you can find a local cacher to help you. What ever you do, have fun!

Another thing I just thought of is that perhaps you should try to contact a local cacher or group to help you. You don't seem very clear on the concept, being extremely new to this yourself, so I'm thinking a more experienced cacher or group would be of great help to you.

It's hard to teach others when you need help yourself. I don't mean any offence by that, but it does seem that perhaps you're not experienced enough yourself to be teaching others.

B.

No offense taken, I know I am very new to this, hence why I am here trying to learn... not much of it makes sense, which is why I am asking.

I appreciate all of the assistance in this, if anyone is local in Michigan and is willing to help out I would appreciate it.

Go to Trackables

I think I see where where your confusion may be. Some will place larger caches in convenient locations, usually close to Interstate highways and unofficially designate them as "Travel Bug Hotels". In other words, the cache was specifically designed to help travel bugs travel. The cache itself does not travel.

However, you can put your travel bug in any cache that it will fit in.

Go to Trackables

I think I see where where your confusion may be. Some will place larger caches in convenient locations, usually close to Interstate highways and unofficially designate them as "Travel Bug Hotels". In other words, the cache was specifically designed to help travel bugs travel. The cache itself does not travel.

However, you can put your travel bug in any cache that it will fit in.

Exactly what I thought! The cache itself does not travel, but more accommodating to items that will travel. Thank you!