Cache searching using the map

J 'N' K

It's possible this has been suggested before but as I can't find a thread I thought I would kick it off. Apologies if I'm going over old ground.

When creating a pocket query you can define your query using a radius method or using the "caches along a route" function. In smaller countries, such as my country New Zealand, radius's don't work that well for us as our geography means you end up getting caches on the other side of hills etc. A great option would be to be able to define an area on a map which you wish the query to run on. I have an example but unfortunately this editor doesn't appear to allow me to copy it or attach it, but broadly speaking, the concept is you define a polygon or regular shape, using a point to point drawing tool, which you finally join the shape to define the area. This then allows you to seek out caches in a very specific area such as a finger of land or a particular range of mountains parks etc.

I believe there is a macro in GSK that does this but I have never been able to get it to work. Notwithstanding that, I would prefer it to be in this site rather than a third-party tool. If you would like me to send an image of the concept you can contact me at jnkcachersnz@xtra.co.nz

Thanks.

JNK(NZ)

I agree and does sound like a good idea. Sometimes I will pull up the map center on where I want and hit the button for create a pocket query from map. I then make sure to change my radius to a certain level depending how far out I want to reach from my central point. Works just fine. As far as a more defined area with separate boundaries, maybe someday.

It's possible this has been suggested before but as I can't find a thread I thought I would kick it off. Apologies if I'm going over old ground.

When creating a pocket query you can define your query using a radius method or using the "caches along a route" function. In smaller countries, such as my country New Zealand, radius's don't work that well for us as our geography means you end up getting caches on the other side of hills etc. A great option would be to be able to define an area on a map which you wish the query to run on. I have an example but unfortunately this editor doesn't appear to allow me to copy it or attach it, but broadly speaking, the concept is you define a polygon or regular shape, using a point to point drawing tool, which you finally join the shape to define the area. This then allows you to seek out caches in a very specific area such as a finger of land or a particular range of mountains parks etc.

I believe there is a macro in GSK that does this but I have never been able to get it to work. Notwithstanding that, I would prefer it to be in this site rather than a third-party tool. If you would like me to send an image of the concept you can contact me at jnkcachersnz@xtra.co.nz

Thanks.

JNK(NZ)

Yes, this has been requested several times in the past but because GS doesn't respond to feature requests here I have no idea if it's being considered.

If I were to guess, it would be that we won't see this due to the fact that the mapping page is using a commercial API which defines what controls and features are available. If that API doesn't support drawing polygons on the map, unless GS decides to use a different API, we're never going to see this feature. It's too bad, though as I think it would be really useful, especially if one could draw multiple polygons and aggregate the list of caches bounded by all of them into a bookmark (which could be used to generate a PQ).

It would be really useful, particularly for people who live near international borders or with any other obstruction. It would even be useful for people living just outside major cities - for me 15-20 miles in one direction is easy to cover but going the other way I have to get across London which is more of a hassle than it's worth.