Biggest Problems at the Moment

Let's remember that Geocaching and PM are not supporting Waymarking.

Perhaps we have different definitions of "supporting". I've been a professional software developer for 35 years and I don't call what we see "support".

Technically there is still some minimal support, albeit it basically limited to emergency support to fix show-stopping issues like the recent login failure. Definitely not $30/year support, though.

My primary focus is still the so-called "soggy paper game", so any benefits from my premium membership that I get over on the Waymarking site are incidental. It would be difficult to justify paying that much if you were only interested in Waymarking.

I do see the bind that Groundspeak is in. To make it worth it to invest more time and money in Waymarking, there'd need to be more users and interest. However, to get more users and interest, more time and money needs to be invested in Waymarking. It's a catch-22. To break out of it, I see a couple of options:

1. Groundspeak takes a leap-of-faith and invests in Waymarking, with the hope that it will result in enough interest to make it economically viable going forward.
  2. The users demonstrate to Groundspeak how investment in Waymarking would benefit Groundspeak.

Either way, it all comes down to whether Groundspeak can make money off of Waymarking. Until we can somehow show them how they can make money off of Waymarking, it will either continue to limp along in the status quo or die a long, slow, agonizing death as people gradually lose interest and move on.

Let's brainstorm. It seems like the most likely candidate to help breath life into Waymarking will be a mobile app, since that's the main focus over on the Geocaching side. Would an app work for Waymarking? Would app users be interested enough? Would they be willing to pay a few dollars for it?

Perhaps we have different definitions of "supporting". I've been a professional software developer for 35 years and I don't call what we see "support".

Geocachers and their PM's keep the lights on at the Waymarking site. Waymarkers do not support this site, it is the geocachers that pay to play the soggy paper game as you call it. Waymarking is a failed attempt at virtual geocaching.

Geocachers and their PM's keep the lights on at the Waymarking site. Waymarkers do not support this site, it is the geocachers that pay to play the soggy paper game as you call it. Waymarking is a failed attempt at virtual geocaching.

Wait a minute. I wasn't doing any geocaching to speak of, but was paying a premium membership to Groundspeak (not to "geocaching"). I totally disagree that "Waymarkers do not support this site". Shoe is on the other foot.

But I do agree with The A-Team that perhaps something needs to be done to jump start a solution out of the Catch-22.

Wait a minute. I wasn't doing any geocaching to speak of, but was paying a premium membership to Groundspeak (not to "geocaching"). I totally disagree that "Waymarkers do not support this site". Shoe is on the other foot.

But I do agree with The A-Team that perhaps something needs to be done to jump start a solution out of the Catch-22.

I'm guessing that there are less than 50 active Warmarkers world wide. It's geocachers like myself that support Groundspeak with our PM's. I'm like you, I would not renew my PM either just to keep my Waymarking benefits, but as a geocacher I will maintain my PM for the benifits of PMO geocaches. B)

I have got an opinion & idea about this problem.

But my problem is I can't say it perfect in English because its a long story.

Is there any Waymarker here on Waymarking who can translate my Dutch words in English.

Plz contact me at dreamhummie (apenstaartje) gmail (punt) com

Of PM mij in mijn profiel op Waymarking.

Zie reacties graag tegemoet. Het heeft geen haast voor vertaling want dit probleem speelt al jaren.

Thx & Grtz John

Edited by dreamhummie

I actually paid PM fee to help run WM category, then when smartphone could GC used PM to cache as well.

Active WMs - ask HQ. There are probably 50 prolific Waymarkers, but many who dip in and out.

According to http://Waymarking.altervista.org/stats/WaymarkerStats-4Columns.html

there are 202 WMs with over 500 postings.

DougK does a ranking.

I'm guessing that there are less than 50 active Warmarkers world wide. It's geocachers like myself that support Groundspeak with our PM's. I'm like you, I would not renew my PM either just to keep my Waymarking benefits, but as a geocacher I will maintain my PM for the benifits of PMO geocaches. B)