Rating your Geocache

Jacath_6

My wife and I have been taking our four kids caching for about a month, we placed our first cache a couple weeks ago and our new geocache was an easy rating to find...but what about if I place a harder find? Is there a guideline on how to rate the geocache you hide? I am an active abalone/spearfishing diver and I plan on placing an underwater cache in about 15-20 feet deep in the Pacific ocean. I'm thinking it's going to be a 5/5 because of "special equipment needed". How do I find out how to properly rate my harder cache?

First of all, caches can't be place in such a way that the area would be harmed if many people were to come searching for them. I've seen some underwater caches that were simply rope tied to a cinder-block attached to a water bottle.

Second, you would have to obtain permission from the landowner for any hide. For a hide such as this, you would need to clarify exactly where the cache is when explaining it to the land owner. It would also need to be in an area that is safe enough to reach. I know from experience that the ocean isn't safe in some places in northern California.

Thirdly, In 15-20 feet of water, how much special equipment is needed? It's really not that deep and could be done easily compare to some other underwater caches. Depending upon the visibility and the size of the container, I would say it would be more along the lines of a 2 Difficulty: 4 Terrain and a 3.5 Difficulty: 4.5 Terrain. You don't want to have your cache rating any higher that it has to be.

Finally, you might want to find some high difficulty and terrain caches before placing one. It will give you more of an idea of what yours should be rated in comparison.

Rate it for what most cachers would rate it. That is-a cache 15-20 underwater may be easy for you it won't be for me. Same as a cache on top of a mountain may be an easy half day hike for me(I wish :laughing: ) But it might be exhausting for someone who has never left the city.

Your cache won't necessarily be a 5/5. It will be a 5 terrain because of the needed diving equipment/skill (Based on the fact that a cache requiring a boat is a 5 regardless of anything else)

But difficulty may bot be a 5. If it's a container just sitting on the bottom and you sign with a diving writing device(pen? marker?) it's not very hard(2 or 3) they have to bring it up to sign? that's a bit more work(3 or 3.5) You have to go through a shipwreck and find the container that's camo'd to look like par of the ship? Even harder(3.5-5 depending on the camo)

Thirdly, In 15-20 feet of water, how much special equipment is needed? It's really not that deep and could be done easily compare to some other underwater caches. Depending upon the visibility and the size of the container, I would say it would be more along the lines of a 2 Difficulty: 4 Terrain and a 3.5 Difficulty: 4.5 Terrain. You don't want to have your cache rating any higher that it has to be.

Finally, you might want to find some high difficulty and terrain caches before placing one. It will give you more of an idea of what yours should be rated in comparison.

And this. Especially what I've bolded.

Edited by T.D.M.22

My wife and I have been taking our four kids caching for about a month, we placed our first cache a couple weeks ago and our new geocache was an easy rating to find...but what about if I place a harder find? Is there a guideline on how to rate the geocache you hide? I am an active abalone/spearfishing diver and I plan on placing an underwater cache in about 15-20 feet deep in the Pacific ocean. I'm thinking it's going to be a 5/5 because of "special equipment needed". How do I find out how to properly rate my harder cache?

Use the official geocaching rating system: http://www.geocaching.com/hide/rate.aspx

There's also a link to the rating system via the submission form.

Here are the definitions for the ratings

Geocache Rating System

Difficulty Rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunt.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain Rating:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)7

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Edited by briansnat

:laughing:

Three different rating set ups from three different people.

- This one is from Groundspeak's Help Center.

Well that's the problem-unlike cache sizes where you can specify that a large is say 20 liters, a cache rating is an opinion. And like I pointed out subjective. An LPC is so easy that most of us hate them but to a new cacher it might take 5 visits to find it. Plus unfortunately only the CO/OP knows where the caches is going so we can only guestimate an appropriate rating based on what we perceive the cache location is like.

So to the OP go with the official one Cerberus linked to.

Well that's the problem-unlike cache sizes where you can specify that a large is say 20 liters, a cache rating is an opinion. And like I pointed out subjective. An LPC is so easy that most of us hate them but to a new cacher it might take 5 visits to find it. Plus unfortunately only the CO/OP knows where the caches is going so we can only guestimate an appropriate rating based on what we perceive the cache location is like.

Which is the same one I posted.

Thanks to all who gave me info on properly rating my underwater cache. With this new info, I think I'm going with a 5/3.

Edited by Jacath_6

The cache rating system rates an LPC as a 2 star.....

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunt.

For newbies it might be a difficult find, but the average geocacher has experienced or has heard about LPCs and would be able to zero in on it in less than 30 minutes (probably less then 30 seconds).

Thanks to all who gave me info on properly rating my underwater cache. With this new info, I think I'm going with a 5/3.

I would go with a 5/4.5 (or 5/5)

15-20 feet deep in the Pacific ocean

Does it require scuba gear? Does it require a boat to get to the spot?

Diving 20 feet deep and staying down there long enough to unhook the cache then dive back down again to return it is a physical challenge for the average person. Swimming in a pool is a skill that has to be learned. Deep water ocean swimming is a more in-depth skill.

Difficulty:

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain:

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

If you don't expect people to use scuba gear to dive down then you could probably go with a 4.5.

For newbies it might be a difficult find, but the average geocacher has experienced or has heard about LPCs and would be able to zero in on it in less than 30 minutes (probably less then 30 seconds).

Which would make it a 1

" Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching."

Which would make it a 1

" Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching."

Then maybe a 1.5 since it's not in plain sight.