unsuitable?

Hi

I am very new to this and just have a couple of questions if anyone could help me please.

Do reviewers visit the sites of new caches before they publish them?

Also, are there any health and safety rules regarding placement of caches? I am asking because we went to find several caches close together yesterday. We didn't find them but the areas were surrounded by broken glass, rubbish, graffiti, an animal carcass and rats.

I would be very concerned if children were involved in looking for these caches.

Thank you

that's nothing compared to half the junk ive found at caches sleeping bags needles glass trash etc

And tents? :ph34r:

To answer your other question you can click on view log( the one with the picture ) and I think there is a button to delete just the picture- having never done it I could be wrong though...

just wondering for future reference if I put a pick up to I dislike as well Edited by Off Grid

Hi

I am very new to this and just have a couple of questions if anyone could help me please.

Do reviewers visit the sites of new caches before they publish them?

Also, are there any health and safety rules regarding placement of caches? I am asking because we went to find several caches close together yesterday. We didn't find them but the areas were surrounded by broken glass, rubbish, graffiti, an animal carcass and rats.

I would be very concerned if children were involved in looking for these caches.

Thank you

I did a bit of research and located the cache in question. The COs are relatively new and the cache is one of three (their first hides) in an urban park. I do not think that they have specifically chosen to place the cache in an unsuitable area and it may be that it is an inaccurate coordinate problem rather than poor placement. Two other cachers have also posted DNF logs after giving the area a good search and commenting that the terrain rating doesn't seem correct. They also specifically comment about the hint which mentions a "bus stop" which clearly doesn't fit with the gz (unless the hint is very cryptic).

IIt is disappointing that the CO has not responded to this initial problem with the cache although they could be away for a few days.

I suggest a Needs Maintenance log is posted straight away and maybe a note to the reviewer simultaneously. If there is still no response after a few days then post a Needs Archive.

Thank you for your response and advice (apologies if I have not used the quote feature correctly)

I will do as suggested.

The hint is correct. It is in inverted commas which I took to mean a bit of thinking outside the box was required.

Having said that it was Mr Madasa that spotted it....grrr

Hold your horses! I put the cache on my watch list and noticed that someone has now found the cache and they thought it was really good (even gave it a favourite). The 'bus stop' reference is apparently very clever so there is obviously more to the cache than you originally thought. The finder's do comment on seeing some rubbish but don't feel it interferes with the search so they obviously were not put off searching.

I guess this is a typical example of how two perceptions of a cache/GZ can be so different although I wonder if the FTFers were swayed by their success.

Interesting. Does the CO's profile indicate that they may be into road racing? Bus stop describes a certain set of turns in a road course.

For the OP to claim 'unsuitable', means that the OP expects all caches to be 1/1, or is incapable of using discretion. That's rather sad. Hey! Use common sense!

That was neither helpful nor constructive.

Did you mean to be so rude?

If you look at the title of my post you will notice that it includes a question mark. This means it was a question!

So your assumption of what I 'meant' was way off mark.

It's 'rather sad' that someone can't respond to a question in the same polite manner in which it was asked.

(and yes I know that I have not used the quote feature. I have tried but am clearly incapable)

You should be able to see that nothing I said was rude. I suggested using common sense. I may be blunt. But I am seldom 'rude'. My suggestion was both helpful and constructive. If you do not like a cache situation, then don't go for it! Use common sense! Use discretion! Or, maybe try reading the guidelines! Calling someone 'rude' is a guideline violation.

For the OP to claim 'unsuitable', means that the OP expects all caches to be 1/1, or is incapable of using discretion. That's rather sad. Hey! Use common sense!

If you look at the title of my post you will notice that it includes a question mark. This means it was a question!

It's 'rather sad' that someone can't respond to a question in the same polite manner in which it was asked.

(and yes I know that I have not used the quote feature. I have tried but am clearly incapable)

You should be able to see that nothing I said was rude. I suggested using common sense. I may be blunt. But I am seldom 'rude'. My suggestion was both helpful and constructive. If you do not like a cache situation, then don't go for it! Use common sense! Use discretion! Or, maybe try reading the guidelines! Calling someone 'rude' is a guideline violation.

I thought your manner was rude as well. The new cacher had no way of knowing what he would encounter at GZ as it was a brand new cache. Once GZ was examined he did use his common sense, walked away and recorded his experience on the listing. As a newbie he then came to the forums to ask some advice.

I thought your manner was rude as well. The new cacher had no way of knowing what he would encounter at GZ as it was a brand new cache. Once GZ was examined he did use his common sense, walked away and recorded his experience on the listing. As a newbie he then came to the forums to ask some advice.

So, the cacher asked for advice. The furry fish gave advice. The advice matched the actions of the cacher. And the furry fish is rude? Maybe I'm particularly dense this evening, but I'm just not seeing rudeness here. If I walked up to a ground zero, and found an unpleasant scene, then opted to walk away, and later asked for advice from seasoned cachers, I would be unlikely to call rude the seasoned cacher who suggested, in such a scenario, that I walk away.

So, the cacher asked for advice. The furry fish gave advice. The advice matched the actions of the cacher. And the furry fish is rude? Maybe I'm particularly dense this evening, but I'm just not seeing rudeness here. If I walked up to a ground zero, and found an unpleasant scene, then opted to walk away, and later asked for advice from seasoned cachers, I would be unlikely to call rude the seasoned cacher who suggested, in such a scenario, that I walk away.

You are missing the points that the OP found rude. They are bolded in his post to help you.

'The OP expects all caches to be 1/1'

'...is incapable of using discretion'

'Hey, use common sense'

All unnecessary comments that appear factually incorrect in the context of the OPs original post. Rude, in my opinion.

You are missing the points that the OP found rude. They are bolded in his post to help you.

'Hey, use common sense'

All unnecessary comments that appear factually incorrect in the context of the OPs original post. Rude, in my opinion.

Nope. Didn't miss them the first time.

And the comment was spot on.

There is a world of difference betwixt asking for advice and complaining about conditions at ground zero. If I come here and opine that caches should not be in what I consider to be inappropriate locations, (trash dumps, erotica stores parking lots, etc), I am most certainly following the OPs footsteps regarding wanting this hobby to be adjusted to suit my individual aesthetics. You would be well within your rights to tell me, "If you don't like it, move on". Rather than calling it rude, I call it being blunt, but helpful, as the advice would definitely resolve the issues at hand.

'Hey, use common sense'

FWIW I'm with the OP and Legochugglers, I thought Harry's response was rude too :P

'Hey, use common sense'

FWIW I'm with the OP and Legochugglers, I thought Harry's response was rude too :P

I want you to know, I find that emoticon quite rude, Sir! :ph34r:

And, he didn't come here with an agenda. He didn't come here trying to change things or tell everyone how things should be. He simply encountered a situation as a new cacher and came here for advice.

What one might call "blunt", I see as rude, unfriendly and completely unnecessary.

'Hey, use common sense'

There is a world of difference betwixt asking for advice and complaining about conditions at ground zero. If I come here and opine that caches should not be in what I consider to be inappropriate locations, (trash dumps, erotica stores parking lots, etc), I am most certainly following the OPs footsteps regarding wanting this hobby to be adjusted to suit my individual aesthetics. You would be well within your rights to tell me, "If you don't like it, move on". Rather than calling it rude, I call it being blunt, but helpful, as the advice would definitely resolve the issues at hand.

Maybe I misunderstood the whole thing. I was certain that the OP came here and asked if a certain situation was suitable per the guidelines, got two days of helpful answers then suddenly was accused of having unrealistic expectations, was told that he was incapable of using desecration and lacked common sense.

The bluntness may be completely acceptable in a different situation but in this case, it was simply rude and uncalled for. In fact, I was a bit shocked when I read it because it simply did not fit the attitude of the thread up to that point.

Last I'll say as I expect we will all get warned soon...

'Hey, use common sense'

Maybe I misunderstood the whole thing. I was certain that the OP came here and asked if a certain situation was suitable per the guidelines, got two days of helpful answers then suddenly was accused of having unrealistic expectations, was told that he was incapable of using desecration and lacked common sense.

The bluntness may be completely acceptable in a different situation but in this case, it was simply rude and uncalled for. In fact, I was a bit shocked when I read it because it simply did not fit the attitude of the thread up to that point.

Last I'll say as I expect we will all get warned soon...

I'll agree with the last sentence. It's high time we got back on topic.

When I encounter a scene which makes me uncomfortable, I accept the axiom of, "I don't need to find them all", and move on to the next cache. Depending on what it is I encounter, I will either mention it in my DNF log, or shoot an email to the cache owner.