DeLorme PN 40 Cache Register not working with geocaching.com

I was planning on buying a DeLorme PN 40 from someone off this site.

Then while doing research I discovered this posting in the reviews of the PN40:

Now, the Cache Register, which DeLorme sold separately and which was used to download large number of caches no longer works and DeLorme says they are not going to fix it. I have communicated with DeLorme but they remain adamant that they are "throwing out" the Cache Register.

Does this mean I would not be able to load caches from this site onto the PN40?

Does anyone else know more information about this?

I am very new to geocaching. I dont want to make a bad purchase on my first GPS.

Please Help!

First of all, Cache Register was a free download, they didn't "sell it". Without Premium Membership, the widget would do you no good, anyway. It was used to load large amounts of data in a nearly full-automatic process using Pocket Queries, a PM benefit. Non-Premium Members cannot run Pocket Queries.

Groundspeak made changes to the geocaching.com website programming which in turn, required changes to some widgets, not just the Delorme widget, either.

That said, you really don't need any widget if you are a Premium Member and load your unit via Pocket Queries. Just download the file(s) then drag and drop them to the GPSr. The "Send to GPS" (any member) option has problems of its' own, not related to the changes. It works fine for some units, not-so-fine for others. It remains useable, for the most part.

Lastly, you might want to research a bit more... the PN-40 is a discontinued unit. The PN-60 is not currently available -- I do not know why. It is possible that Delorme is perched to release a new unit.

We use a PN-40 and still love it, but are toying with upgrading. Just waiting to see if Delorme is going to offer something new, is all. Up to this point, we have been very happy with ours.

Note: we also loved Cache Register, but have been living without it.

In your research, don't neglect looking at higher-grade Garmin or Magellan units. Each brand his its' own little quirks -- some good, some not. Full research is the name of the game.

Thank you Gitchee-Gummee for your response.

I have been doing quite a bit of research. I originally was going to go with a very basic gps.

Maybe this is a very nieve (sp) statement, but since I have no experience with any gps (other than on my phone), I feel I may be pretty adaptable to any brand at this point.

I have read very good reviews for the PN 40. I was looking at a Garmin Dakota 20. I found the reviews for the PN-40 was higher and more reviews for it than the Dakota. I am buying a used unit, and feel a bit comforted by the fact that he has found 500+ caches.

Any advice and feedback is much appreciated at this point.

When I bought my PN-40 back in 2010 it was around $20-$30.

Then you were had. CR 1.0 was released in June 2009 and was $10. CR 2.0 was released - for free - in September of 2010.

As to the OP question: DeLorme actually dropped support for Cache Register some time prior to October 2012. At that time, their integration between GC.com and DeLorme's Topo software broke for the same reasons (because DeLorme software did not work with GC.com's new API). This tech note discusses how to load pocket queries even without GC.com integration.

DeLorme does plan to update Topo North America software some time in late spring 2012 2013 to fix integration with GC.com, but has confirmed they will not be updating Cache Register.

PS: This turn of events caused angst of legendary proportions on the DeLorme forums, which in turn inspired a fable here.

:lol:

Edited by user13371
DeLorme does plan to update Topo North America software some time in late spring 2012 2013 ...

BMW Jedi - thanks for catching the typo. I fixed my post - DeLorme very recently said they plan to fix Topo THIS year and reiterated they are abandoning Cache Register.

As reported here http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=77368&p=263919#p263865 for one example.

Edited by user13371

... I found the reviews for the PN-40 was higher and more reviews for it than the Dakota. I am buying a used unit, and feel a bit comforted by the fact that he has found 500+ caches.

Any advice and feedback is much appreciated at this point.

Buyer beware!

Some have aquired used PN-40s and did not receive all the pieces that were in the original off-the-shelf box. In addition to the hardware, the box included the software app DVD and 4 or 5 data DVDs.

With a complete, off-the-shelf box, I had no complaints and still use mine.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I've used a PN-40 for about 3 years now. My son had a PN-60W and loved it. I tried it, but it was too new-fangled for me. Can't teach an old bear new tricks? The PN-40 can still be used by dragging the Pocket Query into a folder and then creating a draw file to slurp it over into Topo North America. The instructions are in the DeLorme forums. That being said it is pretty old tech. I use it because it still does a great job for me and haven't had a need to upgrade. When it does crap out, I may be in the same position.

As for Delorme discontinuing everything (or perching for that matter) ---- I was under the impression smartphones were taking over and the GPSr market was drying up? They are in Maine (not far from Delaware). Maybe a weekend trip would yield you a loaner or a test drive.

Battery life was not as good as the 60. I replaced the stock battery with a CabBat and and much happier.

Edited by DaddyOtho