We Messed Up This Trackable

PMHerz

I think we messed one of our trackables up! We were traveling through Florida 2 weeks ago and dropped it off at a cache in Kissimmee, but then had to rush back home for a family illness.

Today we tried to enter 2 caches that we'd found in Florida before we left and couldn't list our trackable as dropped off, presumably because someone had already found it and marked it as "grabbed it."

Is there a way to retroactively drop our trackable off at the cache that we actually left it at? (Our options for this geocoin only show Mark as Missing or Recalculate Distance)

thnx

There are ways, but it involves contact and conversation with the current holder. Let's just say that it is usually a pain (you know where). Mostly because it seems so few respond to or actually receive emails.

We used to worry about that too, but don't anymore.

NOTE: You could actually fly under the radar and get 'er done if you still hold the tracking #. Place a WATCH on the trackable, and the minute it is placed, grab it, log it properly (with the date placed), then log it back to where you grabbed it from.

Don't dally while doing it...

EDIT to add: it's a 'dangerous' maneuver. Somebody else could very well retrieve it while you are messing around logging it.

Don't have the tracking number? Forget it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

There are ways, but it involves contact and conversation with the current holder. Let's just say that it is usually a pain (you know where). Mostly because it seems so few respond to or actually receive emails.

We used to worry about that too, but don't anymore.

NOTE: You could actually fly under the radar and get 'er done if you still hold the tracking #. Place a WATCH on the trackable, and the minute it is placed, grab it, log it properly (with the date placed), then log it back to where you grabbed it from.

Don't dally while doing it...

EDIT to add: it's a 'dangerous' maneuver. Somebody else could very well retrieve it while you are messing around logging it.

Don't have the tracking number? Forget it.

Good advice....it's close enough for me!!!

thnx

Edited by PMHerz

Today we tried to enter 2 caches that we'd found in Florida before we left and couldn't list our trackable as dropped off, presumably because someone had already found it and marked it as "grabbed it."

The only thing that worries me is that "presumably". Do try to confirm that the TBs have been grabbed from you. I'd hate it to turn out that you forgot to retrieve them yourself or something. But assuming your conjecture is correct, then you're done and you can forget about it. Yeah, it would have been nice if you'd been able to log them in yourself, but stuff happens, so it's no big deal that someone had to grab them from you.

The person that grabbed them needed to have them visit the cache you dropped them in to get their journey properly recorded, but if they didn't, then they didn't. It's really not reasonable for you to try to correct that now. I recommend against following the suggestion of the other response describing how to grab it quick as a bunny and take it back to the cache you put it in, since that just messes up the trip even more than skipping a cache would.

I do like the suggestion of posting a note to the TB's log explaining when you put it into which cache and thanking the person that grabbed it for dealing with your slight delay in logging.

Edited by dprovan

I recommend against following the suggestion of the other response describing how to grab it quick as a bunny and take it back to the cache you put it in, since that just messes up the trip even more than skipping a cache would.

I think the poster was saying to post the log with the correct date, and then it wouldnt mess it up at all, it would just add that it had been in that cache on the day it WAS in that cache...

I think the poster was saying to post the log with the correct date, and then it wouldnt mess it up at all, it would just add that it had been in that cache on the day it WAS in that cache...

I could be wrong, but I thought the system wouldn't correctly handle new TB logs that are back dated.

I could be wrong, but I thought the system wouldn't correctly handle new TB logs that are back dated.

I just tried it out on one of my tbs thts in my possession, made a bogus log on one of my caches on feb 12, then deleted it. worked ok though...