Geocaching books

I am sure I've seen a thread on books about geocaching, but I couldn't find it with the search engine, so here goes...

Have you read any books on geocaching?

Let us know about them!

A search on Amazon for the word 'geocaching' finds 59 books.

Amazon has First to Find on sale, a good debut mystery from Morgan C. Talbot.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Find-Caching-Series-ebook/dp/B009V4LABY/ref=pd_sim_kstore_5

I am currently reading Cached Out by Russell Atkinson, author of several books based on geocaching.

http://www.amazon.com/Cached-Cliff-Knowles-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B009FPRYAK

Amazon, like most all booksellers, uses paid book reviewers so their reviews are suspect. I would like to know what geocachers think about books on geocaching!

What have you read about our game? Was it worth the time and money?

Someone got that one for us this past Christmas. I haven't read it yet. It seemed a bit dated.

I think it tells some interesting stories - at least the introduction does! :lol:

It's been a few years since I read it, but I really enjoyed Open Your Heart with Geocaching: Mastering Life Through Love of Exploration (Jeannette Cezanne).

Kind of a nice blend of geocaching and philosophy, the book was written by a sort of local (to me) geocacher, and features an intro from Jeremy as well as interviews with Vinny and Sue and reviewer gpsfun.

I read The Joy of Geocaching: How to Find Health, Happiness and Creative Energy Through a Worldwide Treasure Hunt by Paul Gillin and Dana Gillin when I first started. I found the information on caching, etiquette, and the different aspects of caching very informative. The book was a quick and easy read as the information was interspersed with real caching stories.

Another type of search on Amazon finds 212 books with the word 'geocaching'. They may not be about geocaching but they at least mention it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_10?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Ageocaching&page=10&keywords=geocaching&ie=UTF8&qid=1361514995

I had no idea.

Looks like I have reading material for quite a while!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

One book about geocaching I enjoyed is Local Treasures: Geocaching Across America, by Margot Anne Kelley. It's not a how-to book of any sort, it's a photographer/geocacher's chronicle of her travels across the country looking for caches. Lots of excellent photos, some good "zen of geocaching" musings.

--Larry

Wow, good luck finding a copy. I just looked on Amazon and it's out of print. Used copies starting at $350, new at $900. Looks like I'd better hang on to my own copy. :o

Edited by larryc43230

One book about geocaching I enjoyed is Local Treasures: Geocaching Across America, by Margot Anne Kelley. It's not a how-to book of any sort, it's a photographer/geocacher's chronicle of her travels across the country looking for caches. Lots of excellent photos, some good "zen of geocaching" musings.

--Larry

Wow, good luck finding a copy. I just looked on Amazon and it's out of print. Used copies starting at $350, new at $900. Looks like I'd better hang on to my own copy. :o

Must be one heck of a book! Barnes and Noble lists it for $650.

There was an art exhibit showing pictures from the book and a geocaching event for it GCYA70

--Larry

Must be one heck of a book! Barnes and Noble lists it for $650.

There was an art exhibit showing pictures from the book and a geocaching event for it GCYA70

It's a really nice book, but I wouldn't pay that sort of price for it. I bought it for $24 plus shipping from Amazon in 2009. I'm glad I bought it when I did.

I read about that event, long after the fact. Now I wish I could have attended.

--Larry

There are actually three threads now. Here's the other one not mentioned above: Geocaching Fiction. The problem with combining them is that the other two are specifically for fiction books, while this one includes all books. Your favorite is non-fiction. I think the threads should stay separate, or the other two (Fictional) Books... and Geocaching Fiction could be combined, but not this one.

Edited by The Rat

Not exclusively geocaching, but I did really enjoy reading "Maphead" last year by Ken Jennings, which includes a chapter on geocaching that covers it very well. The rest of the chapters are also good for geeky people (there's a chapter on "collecting countries" it sounds like many forum members would enjoy based on a recent thread), which honestly covers lots of geocachers. :laughing: