Advice please, think ive made a bad GPS decision..

Hey,

I'm very new to geocaching, but love it so far !

I recently bought, and received today my first every GPSr, a garmin etrex legend (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=173)

I think I've made a bad decision however. It was only after buying the legend that i read about the high sensitivity relievers, and how they give you signal when youre under cover etc.

Im really concerned that the legend will not be what im after. Im considering getting a refund and buying an etrex H, or etrex 10 instead.

What are your thoughts ??

Thanks

Tim

Oh wow... Where d' you get that one? Used for $15 or less? Because it's really not worth more.

Chipset is old, receiver is old, uses lots of batteries, and there will be almost no room for maps. I have one. When I purchased it eight years ago, it was a respectable receiver. Not now. You should really get something fresher if geocaching is what you intend to do.

An etrex 10 would most likely suit you unless you are after maps.

You made the wrong decision, besides the signal and battery issues there's another called SERIAL, that is NO USB and making it work isn't always easy.

Often you need to buy a costly cable and even then it won't work, the program that works with these models is called easygps you can download it for free.

As for any suggestions, never buy any Garmin 10 model.

Edited by splashy

Right okay, thanks or the quick replies. I contacted the seller asking for a refund.

Why would you not reccomend any Garmin 10 splashy ?

Usually a few dollars more gets a much better value. For example and Etrex 20 is much more 'modern' and useful than an Etrex 10. Both can do the job of course, but the 20 is more flexible. A 30 just has a compass built in, that is nice if you don't have one, but since you can have your spare elsewhere (discrete handheld) for a backup,then it is sort of just a fancy power drain... Most Garmins are like that, a basic model followed by levels of 'fancy'.

BTW that model Legend will find caches fine, but as stated you will find it tough to download caches to it.

Mostly because it is hard to get a working Serial interface... at least as compared to finding USB these days.

Doug 7rxc

BTW that model Legend will find caches fine,

is actually a debateable statement. Many don't remember how insensitive the older receivers were. In light to medium foliage fine; but it is highly likely it won't get a usable signal in forests with dense tall trees.

In an attempt to make you feel better, I will say that you did not make a "wrong" decision but more rather, a "lack of informed" decision.

The unit you acquired will still allow you to geocache, and do it just fine. Sure, it lacks 'generational' advancements, but it still works, as does our (not-to-often-used) GPS12 model (older than yours).

Pretty much, you are relegated to hand-entering coordinates into your unit -- and that can be a bulky, time-consuming process. There is a workaround to that, also. You would need a Serial/USB adapter cord. They are available, just Google for one.

Your device probably will not accept much, if any, additional mapping. Geocaching can be done without mapping. Maps do not make or break your abilities, they are only icing on your cake.

As far as the antennae sensitivity goes -- many thousands of geocache finds were made long before more sensitive antennae were available. Again, it does not make or break your ability to use it, or to use it well. You only need to consider that signal blockages are more likely to occur -- forest canopy (especially wet canopy); canyons (real or man-made); large singular structures immediately adjacent to your position; and some things that are not noticed or perceived. Clouds will not bother it, exceedingly heavy rain or snowfall doesn't usually bother it; high-voltage power lines may -- the field they generate can block incoming signals to a degree, but proximity to that generated field would be the primary concern -- a matter of meters could/would make a difference.

A lack of "paperless" abilities means that you should either print cache info out before going, or take copious notes of your targeted caches before wandering to them. This can be a benefit of sorts, when many muggles are about -- carrying a device (your GPSr) along with a clipboard and papers (some have even resorted to a safety vest and hard-hat), makes many folks automatically assume that you are on official business and doing your job. Generally, they don't bother you -- another geocacher though, will notice, but that is often a good thing. :)

Something that may/may not help you -- upon entering the cache coordinates, name the cache using the cache ID# (skip the GC, as they all have it). Your unit will accept 7 or less characters in that field (models vary). It will automatically list them in the directory (Waypoints List) in alphanumeric order. If not already set-up as such, you may be able to change that order to "distance from" through the Main Menu.

(saw new post, while typing)... the eTrex 20 is superior overall to your unit. It has color screen and more memory (via microSD card) than either your unit or the '10.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

My Etrex Legend performed very well on my month long bike trip back in 2005. It got dropped at 20mph on a bike and got rained on many times. The Legend was a very popular GPS unit in it's day and it helped Garmin knock Magellan off it's perch as the #1 brand of GPS receivers. My Legend no longer works and is in GPS heaven, but my original yellow Etrex from 2000 still does work. In fact, I just fired it up yesterday.

But yea, send the Legend back, and don't get an Etrex H. The Etrex 10 will do far more and of course, the Etrex 20 is very recommended around here.

but my original yellow Etrex from 2000 still does work.

Mine also does and is the first geocaching device ever used in my country. :)

Tim_norman2003: There are lots of GPS units to choose from - what you should consider is if you require in device maps or not. If you require in device maps the eTrex 20 seems okay. The in device software was terrible when I got it, but since then most annoying software problems have been rectified.

Remember some functions are very important

1 an SD

2 Maps

The Etrex 10 misses both!!!

Checkout graigslist or similar, there must be many modern models for good prices in a couple of weeks.

If your gps cannot handle both its like a car with a wheel missing.

The sd is to hold the enormous amount of data like maps and other data, the maps are free for download and use.

Keep that GPS for when someone comes with you. If you don't manage to get a refund.

You can always load a few caches manually onto it and let the kids play with it and help you find a GZ. Get rechargeable batteries and that can be good. My son uses the Legend C I bought, and I use the etrex 20.

Shaun

Great. Thanks for all your info and help guys!

I'll try and get an etrex 20, but money is a very limiting factor for me at the mo, so may end up with the 10.

Thanks again

Tim

I'm assuming you're much younger than 63 so you've got a long way to go before you catch the master of making poor decisions, lol. Hang in there Tim and put your money toward the eTrex 20, you won't be disappointed.

I wouldn't describe an Etrex 20 as more 'modern' than an Etrex 10, they're both in the same series and were announced at the same time :)

I do agree though that if you can afford the extra go for the 20 over the 10 as it is a far more capable GPS.

Note the ' ' marks... I was just talking about more features there. same for the 'fancy' comment.

The legend was still better than my original 45xl most of the time.

Doug 7rxc

BTW that model Legend will find caches fine,

is actually a debateable statement. Many don't remember how insensitive the older receivers were. In light to medium foliage fine; but it is highly likely it won't get a usable signal in forests with dense tall trees.

Well, it depends on your POV, I guess... I started with a 45xl and can still find caches with that and some 'technique'. The Legend's we used for several years were a big step up, but I wouldn't have bought one even then.

I had one from our SAR group to get familiar with it. It was a big step up from previous GPS I had tried.

Sure it was a bit weak under the trees, but they all were. Heck even my current Map60cx has it's moments.

Still that wouldn't be my recommendation for a purchase today... Come to think, I didn't recommend it to the SAR group even back then. Recently we did get some Etrex 20 units though... much better, but I'm not sure about more accurate than the Map60 series. Just more features.

For the OP, I'd say save a bit more, the 10 is self limiting, but works. But you will want the 20 features sooner than later.

Doug 7rxc

Hey. Thank you all for your advice.

I have returned the legend (i'm in the uk and paid £40, 60usd for it)

I have also just bought an etrex 20. My thinking was to get a 20, and hopefully it will last me for many years. I got it for £100 (150usd) cause it has a couple of scuffs. But I don't mind about that.

Thanks again,

Tim

Hey. Thank you all for your advice.

I have returned the legend (i'm in the uk and paid £40, 60usd for it)

I have also just bought an etrex 20. My thinking was to get a 20, and hopefully it will last me for many years. I got it for £100 (150usd) cause it has a couple of scuffs. But I don't mind about that.

Thanks again,

Tim

You are welcome. Be aware that there are good free maps of the british isles here:

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

and also reasonable maps of many other areas in the EU can be built here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/