can you just plug in coords in the GPS and it will lead you there?

tweetiepy

I tried to do this on site once and ended up with horrible results (I was sent out in a field).

I have a Magellan Explorist 310 and I want to know if I can change the coords in the GPS for a cache listing on my GPS? If I create a waypoint, it asks me for bearing & distance. When I actually got into the long & lat for a cache listing on my GPS it changed them by a few minutes & sent me in the middle of nowhere.

Can I just plug in a new set of coords into the GPS and it will lead me there, as waypoints won't let me do that

Waypoints will let you do that... you just need to play with the unit a bit more.

A geocache is a waypoint, nothing more and nothing less. Geocache coordinates are no different than waypoint coordinates, other than somebody (supposedly) planted a geocache at that point.

If you can make it "point" to a geocache, you can make it "point" to a waypoint.

What it seems you are doing is trying to "project a waypoint" -- not the same as creating a waypoint.

As Lil Devil says, MARK your current position (you just created a waypoint). Alter those coordinates that you just marked to coincide with those you need to go to. Then NAME it and [save]. You can access that saved waypoint at any time from the waypoint list and navigate to just as surely as a geocache that you downloaded into the unit.

EDIT to add: Have a look at page 3 of your downloaded manual. From the options menu, there is an option to "Add Waypoint". If you have difficulty in MARKing and altering, use that option.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee