Copying/importing bookmark lists belonging to others

WeimarWest

I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere in the thousands that already exist, but I'll assume this is a "new" idea.

There are a number of series in my area (Dallas) that I would like to pursue in a systematic manner. I could always load them individually into a bookmark list of my own creation and then go from there, but this is a slow and tedious process. Even searching by cache name doesn't provide an easy solution to creating a unified, series specific bookmark list (but the name based search can be exported).

Has any thought been given to allowing users to import .LOC or pocket querry files to the site in order to create bookmark lists? Also, has there been any thought to adding a feature to bookmark lists that would allow other users to copy the list into their own set of bookmark lists?

For example, the FP Series in Texas already exists as a bookmark list with the cache owner. If he had the option to allow copying, then I could grab the list, add it to my own set of bookmarks, and then manipulate its contents or use it for find tracking purposes.

Thanks!

As Fizzy points out GS does not seem to have any interest in improving the bookmark features. Fortunately a third party software makes it much easier to manipulate bookmarks. This third party software is GSAK. You can create PQ's from bookmarks, import the PQ's into a GSAK database and manipulate them from there. With macros and the API interface you can import the bookmarks directly. Once you have what you want you can export that back to GS to update your bookmark lists, or just use what is in the database to load your GPS directly. Fortunately most of the holes in GS functionality can be filled with the use of this software.

I am casting my vote and bumping this request. It would be very nice to save a public bookmark list to my own bookmark list. This is especially useful for finding a series for which the cache owner has already created a list (ie more time cachine and less time duplicating someone else's work). Thanks for your consideration.

I just happened to be looking at page 31 of this forum this morning. Lots of interesting suggestions, and some of them claiming to have been 'submitted' or 'under consideration'.

Very few of them have actually resulted in any action.

The idea of copying a bookmark list was suggested back on 09 November 2011, and 'We currently have this request in our database.' posted 10 November 2011 - 09:33 AM.

I think it ain't gonna happen.

I just happened to be looking at page 31 of this forum this morning. Lots of interesting suggestions, and some of them claiming to have been 'submitted' or 'under consideration'.

Very few of them have actually resulted in any action.

The idea of copying a bookmark list was suggested back on 09 November 2011, and 'We currently have this request in our database.' posted 10 November 2011 - 09:33 AM.

I think it ain't gonna happen.

I suggested a feature for being able to bulk copy/move bookmarks in a list well before this forum section existed. I wouldn't put bookmarks in the same category as other notable "unfinished" features but a few improvements could really improve usability. I'd like to be able to view a list of bookmarks, place a check mark in any (or all) bookmark item and then not only be able to delete those items (as we can do now), but be able to copy or move all selected items to another named list.